Hypothetical MVC...What Would You Do?

katbemeEMT-B

akflightmedic, has posted a great response, and so far brings a better since of reality to the situation. The post concerning protocols is also good. I have faced similar situations, but in this particular one, I would keep mommy's visual line of sight away from the children if possible, so not to further aggravate the respiratory issue, keep boarding her stating "the children are being loaded as we speak". I don't worry about being a defendant if someone is possibly gonna die. Besides, we're medics. If someone sues us and actually wins, what they gonna get? All they would get from me, is a direction to the line where the rest of the bill collectors are standing. :wink:

Shes alert and orientated. Have her sign the RMA, move on to her kids. No reason to spend 20 minutes arguing with the mom, when you could of had both kids in the ambulance.

Honestly the best response I've seen. If there are multiple patients on the scene and mom wants to sit there and argue, get a refusal and move on to someone who may give a damn about the people who are trying to help them.

I realize the original post was a lot to read, but an important fact was missed. Two more medics are now on scene and can assist in preparing patients for transport. Would it not make more sense to have them prepare the children for transport while you concentrate on the mother. With the help of the firemonkeys, this could all be done very quickly and all could be taken, for the most part simultaneously. This would appease the mother, who is not stupid, just loves her children.

is purely a hypothetical

Meh, its too hypothetical.

Have to agree with Kat...it's 100% hypothetical..What did you find ambiguous?

Good reply flight medic, Tell her the way it is, agree its too what if...

Why? It seems to me to be an ethical, moral, protocol question. What additional info was needed? Why didn't you just ask for it?

It just wasn't found to be relevant.

How come?

Hell Kat, I liked the question, and had no idea what the answer was. Thanks for posting it!

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.