20 Hour Transports

Sounds just like my ambulance trip from Dallas to Detroit and back. We get to Detroit in the middle of the night, locate the hospital we will be picking up from in the morning, then go searching for a motel close by. We pull into the first motel we see, and just like the White Castle, the night clerk is behind bullet proof glass at a drive up window, with an electronic iron gate blocking the driveway. Better security than the White House. We tell the clerk we need a room. He asks, "for how long?" We tell him just for the night. He replies, "ALL NIGHT?" with a surprised look on his face. Then he notices that we are in an ambulance and says, "Uhhh... I don't think you want this motel. We rent by the hour."

Yep sounds like my hood. At least the clerk gave you the courtesy of telling you. Do you remember what hospital you went to?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you remember what hospital you went to?

Not a chance. This was about 1981. I've made a few runs since then, lol.

I know I stole a sheet from the hospital as a souvenir. Pretty sure I still have it at home in a box of hospital sheets somewhere, lol.

Not a chance. This was about 1981. I've made a few runs since then, lol.

I know I stole a sheet from the hospital as a souvenir. Pretty sure I still have it at home in a box of hospital sheets somewhere, lol.

Oh damn that was the wild west days of Detroit You're lucky your ambulance was still there when you woke up

On the subject of best hamburgers

Anyone been to any of the Five Guys Burgers joints around the East coast?

I'll put those burgers up against any other chain.

On the subject of best hamburgers

Anyone been to any of the Five Guys Burgers joints around the East coast?

I'll put those burgers up against any other chain.

I have a 5 guys right down the road from me. It's basically amazing food. AND they have peanuts there that you just chuck the shells on the floor when you're done :D

When I travel to Jacksonville I have a pick of 3 5 Guys within a 20 minute drive from anywhere in Jacksonville.

They are THE BEST hamburgers out there.

Does anyone have a Sticky fingers bbq in their neck of the woods, goodness I think I'll start a food thread.

Second most awesome website ever: http://www.roadfood.com/

They have Five Guys listed and reviewed.

Five Guys reminds me of Steak & Shake, which I am surprised isn't listed there too. I know they are everywhere. Seen them in Indiana, Tennessee, and Texas.

I first found that website while looking up to see if any of the old "Lum's" restaurants were still around. They were a great hot dog place in the late 60's and early 70's that steamed their dogs in beer. There was a big discussion of them at the forum at that site. In that discussion, somebody divulged the secret recipe for the Lum's "Ollieburger" hamburgers that were the best ever!

• 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice

1 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt

1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

1 Tbsp Soy Sauce

1 Tbsp A-1 Steak Sauce

1 Tbsp Corn Oil

1/2 Cup Beef Broth

1 tsp Heinz 57 Sauce

1/4 tsp Garlic Salt

1 tsp Vinegar

1. Mix the above ingredients.

2. Take 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of ground round and shape meat into round

patties, 3/4" thick and 3 1/2"round.

3. Place in a covered container and pour the marinade mixture over them.

Cover tightly and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.

Turn the patties frequently.

4. Remove from marinade and sear over high heat to seal in the juices,

then turn down heat and cook to your desired doneness.

• Mmmm... now I'm hungry!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.