20 Hour Transports

The service that I work for is having my partner and I transport an elderly pt. with dementia from Baltimore to Massachusetts. Its about 8 hours one way, then they want us to turn around and come another 8 hours home. That is 16 hours assuming we don't stop and there is no problems with traffic or things of that nature. Give us an hour for dinner, an 2 hours for rest stops either way (3 rests stops per way, each 20 minutes) and we're up to 19 hours. I really don't think that it's too safe having us do such a long drive without putting us up for the night in a hotel or motel, but we gotta do what we gotta do. :?

I guess my question is, what is your view on doing basically non-stop long haul transports? Have you ever done them? How did it go? Any idea's on how to make it safer or easier on my partner and I?

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such long transports are very rare and they page them out in advance and pay them out as a 24 hour shift, which is actually our normal shifts, so not much different. I would guess that I'd get more sleep on such a transport than on a regular day of work. I would just try to get my sleep the night before and trade off sleeping and driving on the way back. Such a long transfer would really suck, though.

Yeah, I'm not sure about planes for the transport. I know that the patient's family contacted our service, and I guess that money talks. But as far as I know, our patient is going to be in a diaper for the trip, and it is a BLS transfer with my self and my partner being EMT's. We don't have experience or training to change her diaper, nor do we have a CNA onboard. This should be interesting... :shock:

Yeah, I'm not sure about planes for the transport. I know that the patient's family contacted our service, and I guess that money talks. But as far as I know, our patient is going to be in a diaper for the trip, and it is a BLS transfer with my self and my partner being EMT's. We don't have experience or training to change her diaper, nor do we have a CNA onboard. This should be interesting... :shock:

Wow, I guess that there's even things that a CNA can do that a basic can't [or won't]. That said, if you're in a van you probably won't have enough room to change a diaper anyways.

Wow, I guess that there's even things that a CNA can do that a basic can't [or won't]. That said, if you're in a van you probably won't have enough room to change a diaper anyways.

Yea, it's not that we won't change her diaper, I'm sure we could draw straws for that, but our service doesn't want us changing her diaper and I don't believe that we're being provided with extra diapers. My supervisor said, "by the time they feed her in the morning and that goes through her, they should have a fresh dry diaper on and as long as she doesn't drink too much or eat too much you should be OK until you get up there". :?. I don't know about you, but I sure as heck cannot hold my bladder for 8 hours. If I have to go, then I'm gonna go. lol. The idea of a CNA or a family memeber coming with us was tossed around, but at last i heard it was just my partner and myself. This was totally a rushed operation and should have been planned out better.

My question is since you have no training for changing her and they don't expect you to preform that duty or have a CNA that can, couldn't that be considered neglect of ethical responsibilities referring to "serve the needs of the patient with respect for human dignity"? Personally I would feel embarrassed if I went to the bathroom on myself and couldn't have it cleaned up till I reached the hospital

I could be wrong I'm only a student

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.