Rescue in the EMS System

VaREMS1

Who handles extrication at accidents where you live/work?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Our EMS agency
    • Our EMS agency, but FD should do it
    • FD handles VehExt, but I feel EMS should do it.
    • FD does it, and they can have it!

Let fire do it.

At my full time, we are lucky to have many qualified volunteer firefighters in are district. Our paid city department has VRTs, and runs two rescue engines.

There are also multiple volunteer heavy rescue units, and most volunteers are well trained. We thought about putting a tool and all of the associated equipment on a truck, be decided against it. Besides, our service has SERT medics, and the county MCI trailers. That keeps us busy enough, plus almost 30,000 calls a year.

At my part time, it's a different story. Capable fire departments are not pleantyful. Our supervisors submitted grant proposals for a vehicle and equipment.

In some areas it works great. Some of our guys are vollies with fire, and things get done well together. In other areas, you get a bunch of old pick up trucks arriving on scene (with light bars that are worth more than the truck), and guys running at you with pry bars, axes, and no gear. Scary.

I wish, Spenac. I wish.

SSG,

We're looking into a medium duty rescue truck, if the FD doesn't want us to staff their Heavy Truck. The issue is currently under a review, but odds are it'll be approved...the medium-duty, I mean.

$$$ isn't the issue, it's politics, unfortunately.

I wish, Spenac. I wish.

SSG,

We're looking into a medium duty rescue truck, if the FD doesn't want us to staff their Heavy Truck. The issue is currently under a review, but odds are it'll be approved...the medium-duty, I mean.

$$$ isn't the issue, it's politics, unfortunately.

My second service is considering getting a rescue truck because fire is volly and they gripe that they are not getting paid while they continue to volunteer, and also because volly sometimes delayed responses. We are talking about keeping a paid 3 man team staffing it. I am trying to get them to include a small foam unit on it as well as all the extrication gear.

The way I see it the medics primary concerns should always be scene safety and patient care. Not extrication. If the FD in your area isn't doing there job properly perhaps it's time to find another group that will. In BC extrications are either done by the FD or SAR. All of whom are trained in extrication unlike medics. If the medics are busy cutting up the car who's caring for the patient right?

All extrication scenes in my town are required to have a guy with a charged line, standing there at all times. The fire departments gotta be there anyway to hold that hose, let them take care of it. Even though we don't do extrication, we do carry turnout coats and helmets in each rig, to climb in (if safe) to start pt. care.

I would just like to post a story:

A few months ago, my partner and i responded to a MVC on a major highway in our area. When we arrived on scene, we found the 40 something year old male, sitting straight upright in the driver seat, stating that he could not move from his waist down.

Pt turned out to have a spinal cord injury with permanent paralysis from the waist down after the accident.

It was during the winter and most of the FD was out on the road, since they are part of the road crew as well. It took them almost 30 mins to arrive on scene. We had responded from their main station to the accident that morning. Just another incident to support paid FDs.

I was the paramedic on the call and my partner, who has been in FDs and involved with Rescue since before i had even considered becoming involved in EMS were on scene just after PD. I immediately got into the car and started pt treatment. I told him that he was to get the FD and to figure out how the hell to get the pt and myself out of the car safely. Flying the pt was out of the question due to horrible weather conditions that morning. HE was the one that called for rescue and orchestated the extrication of the pt from the car. He did not do any of the actual cutting of the car, but the FD we were working with that mornin was very cooperative and willing to listen to his suggestions.

This was the only way things worked well in my opinion. On other occasions, i have been on scene and watched the FD get things tangled up (have only dealt with volys on this one). I love to work with the FDs, but am a firm believer of paid only FDs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.