EMT "Boot Camps" Your Thoughts Please

brianjemtbff

Let me translate.

I believe what Kim is saying is that with a motivated group of students who badly want to enter the medical field and are self motivated learners interested in all aspects of our field, a boot camp environment could be equivalent to the traditional classroom setting.

If all of your "EMS boot camp" buddies, going through the class with you, are like-minded and willing to put in the effort, the material can be mastered. The same level of dedication must be shown by the instructors, who would have to have a teaching style compatible with this course. And of course, the know-it-all is an arse and nobody wants them in any course.

The bunny with the pancake always makes me laugh!

(Having had to translate between my mother and father... and between friends... and between DD clients... this paragraph made perfect sense to me. Is that scary?)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I hear so much about these so called EMT "Boot Camps" that claim to give you all the training you need to be an EMT in just a few weeks to a month and guarantee you will pass. I know my training was just over 6 months at a local community college. I just want to get some thoughts from those experienced EMTs and Medics out there. Are these "Boot Camps" worth what they say? Can one really gain the knowledge they need to go out and save lives in about a month?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie student and I signed up for an online course with a 1 week boot camp and 4 day rotation schedule. Have I made a mistake?? It was pretty much all I could find that was starting anytime soon. Also, it sounds like some of you think EMT-B is a useless designation. That's somewhat disheartening to hear. Is that what I have to look forward to when I start working with I's and P's?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie student and I signed up for an online course with a 1 week boot camp and 4 day rotation schedule. Have I made a mistake?? It was pretty much all I could find that was starting anytime soon. Also, it sounds like some of you think EMT-B is a useless designation. That's somewhat disheartening to hear. Is that what I have to look forward to when I start working with I's and P's?

Welcome to the site. We like basics that see the need to continue education for the betterment of the patients we serve. The biggest problem most have is some basics with the extremely limited education act as if they are able to save the world. Use your basic education as a stepping stone. And most importantly act as a medical professional at all times.

Ahh, OK, I gotcha. I agree completely. My long-term goal is to go into nursing, but I want to be an EMT while I go to school. Do many EMT's go into nursing? Will that be something that my co-workers will disapprove of? Just curious. It won't change my mind, but it might make me think twice about what I share with partners.

Ahh, OK, I gotcha. I agree completely. My long-term goal is to go into nursing, but I want to be an EMT while I go to school. Do many EMT's go into nursing? Will that be something that my co-workers will disapprove of? Just curious. It won't change my mind, but it might make me thing twice about what I share with partners.

Yes some will look down on you. Yes many paramedics go on to nursing, much better pay and better work conditions. The down side to EMS you might get injured, lots of back and knee injuries. You will not get good pay especially as a basic.

Experience as a basic most places you will be doing transfers back to nursing homes. If you get into a 911 job with a good paramedic partner you can learn a few things.

But the biggest thing is do not allow work to distract you from school. Become a degreed RN will require your full attn.

I definitely want to learn everything I can about treating patients. I am not sure yet what the best route will be. I don't want to stay at the Basic level, but is it worth it to go on ahead and attain to Paramedic before going on to nursing school, or should I just go forward with nursing school and not stop to get the cert? Like you mentioned, it will be very difficult to work and go to nursing school, but it will take me at least a year before I can enter nursing school. RIght now I'm trying to get my science pre-reqs out of the way.

I definitely want to learn everything I can about treating patients. I am not sure yet what the best route will be. I don't want to stay at the Basic level, but is it worth it to go on ahead and attain to Paramedic before going on to nursing school, or should I just go forward with nursing school and not stop to get the cert? Like you mentioned, it will be very difficult to work and go to nursing school, but it will take me at least a year before I can enter nursing school. RIght now I'm trying to get my science pre-reqs out of the way.

They are to very different fields. If you want nursing go straight to nursing.

If you know nursing is for sure what you want go for the BSN. If you want, take the EMT B over the summer and work as a part time person.. if you're like me, you have to work during school just to make ends meet. So you might as well do something that is going to expose you to the medical field.

It's your life. Live it the way you want to. If you know for sure you want to be an RN, then go for the BSN- start taking prereqs or courses that apply to that course of study right now.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

If you know nursing is for sure what you want go for the BSN. If you want, take the EMT B over the summer and work as a part time person.. if you're like me, you have to work during school just to make ends meet. So you might as well do something that is going to expose you to the medical field.

It's your life. Live it the way you want to. If you know for sure you want to be an RN, then go for the BSN- start taking prereqs or courses that apply to that course of study right now.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Thanks, Wendy. That's basically what I had planned to do. I hope to complete my EMT-B training in March/April and then look for part-time work, possibly at a hospital. I don't know for sure what I want to do, but I thought that before I invest 3 years and thousands of dollars into nursing school, I should first find out if I enjoy and am cut out for helping patients. And YES, I do have to work while going to school! Wish it weren't so, but we need the income! Are you a nursing student?

Ahh, OK, I gotcha. I agree completely. My long-term goal is to go into nursing, but I want to be an EMT while I go to school. Do many EMT's go into nursing? Will that be something that my co-workers will disapprove of? Just curious. It won't change my mind, but it might make me think twice about what I share with partners.
Most female EMTs at my company are in nursing school or doing pre-reqs for physician's assistant....or studying for MCATs.