san francisco ems

timdog88

San Francisco City itself if run by the FD. They had recent changes, so I'm not exactly sure it how is now, but I know they are now hiring non-FF (single function) EMTs to drive the ambulances, I believe stationed not out of the fire station anymore. For surrounding cities, it depends...some are FD based and some are primarily private company where FD also responds.

They're still FD in name.

AMR and King-American are 2 of the bigger private companies in SF.

Any chance of getting your NR Paramedic before moving?

An EMT-B in SF will be at the low end of the poverty level for wages on the cost of living scale. As a parmedic you will at least be making middle to upper end of poverty by SF standards. You will also have a better chance of getting hired with the City FD as a paramedic. They have a long list of candidates for EMT positions with several schools putting out a fresh crop each month.

They're still FD in name.

Do any firefighters still run on the ambulances, or is it entirely dedicated medical personnel now?

AMR and King-American are 2 of the bigger private companies in SF.

Do they run 911 EMS inside the SF city limits, or what? Suburbs? Only backup? Only BLS? Only transports?

Man, I remember the good ol' days when SF had a system to be envied, by Kalifornia standards. Too bad they've gone so far down the professional tubes. :?

i guess i should update my profile..i got my NR paramedic this past december and have been working in a high-volume, all 911, hospital based system for the last 7 months. No FD involvement in ems except to help lift really heavy pt's, good pay, liberal protocols, (basically the only call-in orders we have are for pushing morphine). Its a great job, the only problem is I really dont like the city I am living in. I vsited san fran this past summer and loved it there, Im just not sure if I want to live somewhere I like and have a job that is less than stellar, or have a good job in a place that i dont like. Im not married and no kids, so I dont have anyone else to support, so the decision is up to me. anyway, thanks for the input, and if anyone lives in or has lived in san fran in the past, I'd love to hear from you.

i'm actually trying to get a job with SF Fire right now. they recently tested for EMT positions on their ambulances. they used to be dual medic, but are now going medic-EMT. i don't think they'll be testing again for EMT's for a long time. they will be hiring for medics sometime next year, but expect every non-fire medic in the bay area to be testing for that!

the nice thing about SF Fire is that it's the only fire department in california that hires single-function medics. starting pay for an EMT is $54K; starting for a medic is $72; fire medics start at over $80K. if you're on an ambulance, you work four ten-hour shifts weekly. the cost of living in the bay area is very high, just as in LA.

i'm actually trying to get a job with SF Fire right now. they recently tested for EMT positions on their ambulances. they used to be dual medic, but are now going medic-EMT. i don't think they'll be testing again for EMT's for a long time. they will be hiring for medics sometime next year, but expect every non-fire medic in the bay area to be testing for that!

the nice thing about SF Fire is that it's the only fire department in california that hires single-function medics. starting pay for an EMT is $54K; starting for a medic is $72; fire medics start at over $80K. if you're on an ambulance, you work four ten-hour shifts weekly. the cost of living in the bay area is very high, just as in LA.

Check cost of living closely. In my part of Texas you can rent nice 3/2 house or apartment for around $500 less some towns slightly more others. Paramedics start at anywhere from $10hr to $18hr depending which town and you don't have to play FF. What will $500 a month rent in San Fran? Speaking from experience take time to count all costs. Hate to see you move, live like a homeless person, and burnout, but have no way out.

Do any firefighters still run on the ambulances, or is it entirely dedicated medical personnel now?

Do they run 911 EMS inside the SF city limits, or what? Suburbs? Only backup? Only BLS? Only transports?

EMS doesn't have to be FF. FF can be EMS. From the gossip mill there's still some issues between the two. The change to EMT/Parmedic truck will be an interesting event since most companies strive for a budget for Paramedic/Paramedic.

SFFD has the city for EMS. AMR does 911 for the East Bay (Oakland) areas.

I sitting in an ER in SF now typing this with a few SFFD members. There's a mixture of those that claim to be only FF but have EMT and occasionally drive for EMS. There is a mixture of opinions about the department also, like any company.

I come to SF as a traveler periodically for short assignments between shifts in Florida. The wages are great if all of your other expenses are paid. $75K is upper poverty level in SF. A single person could probably make it with no expenses other than rent. State tax and union dues will get the rest.

high cost of living is one of the big things that I am considering. I spoke to a guy from AMR in oakland and he said they are paying medics there about 50k to start. It seems to me from looking on craigslist and others that a 2 bedroom apt could be had for around 2k a month, so that doesnt sound too unreasonable. How high is the state income tax and union dues? is there something else I'm missing( I know gas is also very high). I make about 40k where i'm at, so it seems like the extra money would even it out when you consider cost of living, but I dont know for sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.