unofficial name-cpr chest pumper

Brady

My ambulance service is currently doing some preliminary testing of this device, or one very similar, known as the Zoll AutoPulse. It is designed around the premise that it is the increase in pressure within the thorax, rather than the actual pushing motion, that makes CPR effective. So far we have had great experiences. The AutoPulse is able to continue compressions even in situations where it would be almost impossible for a person, such as going down stairs; not to mention it is a lot less tiring and frees up some hands. Additionally, because the devices exerts more even, circumferential pressure, it does not break ribs, thus causing fewer post arrest complications. The weight limit for the device is 300lbs, and we do not use it on traumatic cardiac arrests. One downside is the device itself costs $25,000 and each LifeBand is $125 and one time use. I am also concerned about the battery life, especially in the cold, although we have not experienced any problems thus far. I am unsure if the heart association has any definitive studies of it thus far, but I know our service is collecting data on all instances where it is used for this very purpose. I hope the AutoPulse turns out to be something that is not just good in theory, but also works well in reality.

• 3 months later...
Has the American Heart Assoc. came out with any statements for use of this product in the US?

Until there is more evidence to support their use, the LUCAS and the AutoPulse both get the class IIb recommendation. That is, might help won't hurt. They lump them both under the "mechanical CPR" title since they can't support one device over another.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.