Collegiate EMS

EMT322961

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would disagree with the statement that age doesn't make one more prone to misusing things in an EMS service. Perhaps you particular service has ways to prevent it from happening, but as a general rule, late teens and early twenties (college years) does make people (young population as a whole) more likely to misuse. Not saying it's a good enough reason/risk to not have the program...just picking at the logic.

As a philosophy major, I have to turn this around a bit and explain the problem with your logic haha :) - I think you mean that, as a whole, younger people are statistically more prone to poor judgment, which i would say is certainly true. However, this is no causal relationship between age and immaturity or poor judgment. I think that due to the nature of our program as a 9-1-1 first response ambulance and the competitiveness of our hiring and training, we are able to only hire and keep people who are mature enough to handle the job. That is our best preventive measure. I would certainly hope (and I like to think) that this is the case at other collegiate agencies as well.

I think that due to the nature of our program as a 9-1-1 first response ambulance and the competitiveness of our hiring and training, we are able to only hire and keep people who are mature enough to handle the job.

Hiring?

You've gone from volunteer to paid since yesterday?

That's awesome! :D

Actually, if you look back at the thread, you'll see that I never said that my program was volunteer. We've been a paid EMS agency since the inception of our progam 30 years ago.

Ah! My mistake. I was confusing you with EMSGeek. My apologies.

You all look alike to me. :wink:

As a philosophy major, I have to turn this around a bit and explain the problem with your logic haha :D - I think you mean that, as a whole, younger people are statistically more prone to poor judgment, which i would say is certainly true. However, this is no causal relationship between age and immaturity or poor judgment. I think that due to the nature of our program as a 9-1-1 first response ambulance and the competitiveness of our hiring and training, we are able to only hire and keep people who are mature enough to handle the job. That is our best preventive measure. I would certainly hope (and I like to think) that this is the case at other collegiate agencies as well.

I guess that's stringent hiring process is the way your particular agency prevents immaturity from happening...though I've seen the most mature have moments of weakness...in my opinion strong oversight is key, which seems like you guys do have.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.