EMS the Health Care Arm of Public Safety?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading these post I have found several valid points for both sides of this debate. I do feel we need to take a more proactive role in our individual communities and districts in the general heath and well being of those we serve as well as educate the public as to our capabilities. There have been several times I have had Doctor's and Nurse's who were surprised that I could start an I.V. or give narcotics to my patient's that I picked up from the I.C.U. Are we an extension of the Physician Yes we are and I feel that this should not change. But we take more rick out in the field then most physicians or nurses are willing to take. How many nurse's or physician's are out there on a daily basis risking getting assaulted by patients attacked by fluffy the family dog or cat or getting ran over by a car that some rubber necker is driving. We are also being utilized in areas that are non traditional roles for E.M.S. such as Tactical, Haz-Mat and other high risk enviroments.

I guess until the day comes, that our Federal Government finally intervenes, and establishes a "clear voice" for EMS, this debate will always continue. After reading the many posts, the only conclusion that I may draw for my benefit, is considering EMS a "Public Service", but I would have to stop short of saying "Public Safety".

Dust isn't the number 1 priority in anything we do is ourselves?

That is such a gross misinterpretation of such an important concept, that is so irrelevant to the topic at hand, that it borders on stupidity. :?

EMS isn't exxactly a public safety service, although close...but neither is it a health-care profession. While I am an advocate of education vs training, and support a 4 year paramedic program...I've yet to see anywhere in VA where EMS isn't a semi-public safety service. My agency operates like one, and does so with large success, as do many others throughout the state.

Good assessment, One. But, when you really break it down, "public safety" is nothing more than an attitude, not a "system." If you took the average EMS agency and took away their uniforms, Bat Belts, ranks, lights, and sirens, would they still be "public safety?" They would still be performing the exact same jobs and functions in the exact same way. The only thing that changes is appearances. Look at all the other essential services performed by government agencies -- services that are much better funded and paid than us -- that are not "public safety." And, of course, look at all the other medical services that are better funded and paid than us who are not "public safety." It is quite obvious that "public safety" status is not a necessary factor for the growth or professionalism, or even the survival of EMS. What does such status bring to the table for us as a profession?

Yes, we've traditionally been associated with "public safety" for the last thirty-five years. Your agency is. Most agencies are. But where has that gotten us? Nowhere. We are not a centimetre closer to professional status than we were when Emergency! hit the air in 1972. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten. So far, that adds up to a big fat zero.

It's time for a new vision.

One idiot I had the displeasure to be in discussion with, tried to tell me that ambulances didn't need either sirens or lights! His theory was, ambulances were a "demand" service, you called and requested a unit respond!

OK, this was back in 1973, but really!!?

By that line of thought, there are NO emergency services! MY sarcastic take on that is, if my house is burning, I DEMAND a fire engine respond to put the wet stuff on the red stuff, and assist my family and myself in exiting the building if we cannot do it on our own!

If I am being robbed at gunpoint, I DEMAND that a LEO respond immediately, to stop the thief, recover my money and/or "stuff", and take the miscreant to an incarceration center!

By that line of reasoning, the only "emergency services" will be the 24 hour on-call plumber: after all, he has "Emergency Service" painted on the truck hood, doesn't he?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.