Ornge Aeromedical Program: Where to do Aircraft Orientation?

BEorP

The final module of the aeromedical program is "Aircraft Orientation":

The student will seek out a Flight Service and participate in Aircraft and Air Operations Orientations, either Fixed Wing or Rotor wing service is accepted. Preference would be to an Air Ambulance provider as they are most familiar with Ambulance Operations...

I believe that there are a few members who have done the aeromedical program so I was hoping there might be some suggestions of where I should try to do this. Would this be a good time for me to get in touch with flight providers up north that I will be applying to work for upon completion of the course so that it would give me an opportunity to meet someone there and make a good impression or will they not care to waste their time with me? Or since they even say it does not need to be an air ambulance provider would I be better off just finding someone with a plane and an hour or two who can go through the checklist with me?

I was taking flying lessons at the time and did mine with my flight instructor. You can probably find somebody at one of your local schools to give you a hand.

That being said, I know of a few people that completed their certification without doing an aircraft orientation.

It couldn't hurt to contact an air provider up North, however don't expect much. SOA carriers more or less run on a 100% on call schedule and wouldn't be willing to start their duty day to do an orientation.

Edit: I could probably do one for you as well if you'd like.

I got my aeromedical certificate from OAABHP (before Ornge, like 3 years ago) without doing this. The program does look like it has changed slightly though.

I also don't have the provincial exam. Probably better to get everything in order.

The program has not been updated in quite some time and is actually the same course you took three years ago. Recently Ornge announced they would be updating the course, and changing the fee to reflect that. They raised the fee to $750 but as far as I know they still haven't updated the course.

I simply called up Ornge and requested a ride! The simplest way is to well... ask. "He who asks shall receive".... usually ;-) That's what I did. I actually ended up there for a couple days due to bad weather @ the TO island airport. Call up headquarters and ask for a some rides up North at one of the bases. I wouldn't be too concerned about about making a "lasting impression" but more concerned about adding the "related experience" to your resume.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.