Question..

StlEms

I think you are asking "DOES" rather than "DOSE"? Might get better response. Welcome to the site by the way. I could be wrong, at least once before some on here claimed I was. :oops:

You WERE wrong.

Umm dont know about the UK but we have alot of UK people here that can answer that question. Andymascall would be a good one to PM and ask him or MED they are all over there so they can probally help you out alot andy does some teaching and stuff so he can help you I am sure just shoot him a pm tell him I suggested it.

Terr

Dose England have Emergency medical tech Basic or just paramedics? And how dose the firefighting system work there.. I am looking

into what i would have to do if i was to move there and work..

the Uk does not have staff as poorly, inadequately and briefly trained as EMT-bs ...

even our PTS staff have the 120 -160 hours of training

middle tier and volunteer secotr crews have 200 or so hours of clinicla training + driver training

the rapidly heading toward extinction technician grade has 300 + hours clinicla training + driver training and has few invasive skills ...

Paramedics in the Uk are registered health professionals

it is exrememly hard for none EU residents to get jobs in the Uk health service at present ... priamrily due to work permit rules

Is that Queens English?

No that is TERR's ENGLISH :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Of course the Queen's english or She wouldn't be the Queen of England :wink:

zippyRN you really have to stop attacking American Paramedics and EMT's. Your own precious St Johns crews have less training yet you think they are "equivalent" to the NHS Ambulance Technicians.

120 hours can't be inadequate for an EMT-B and considerably less training at a lower level for a St Johns person be considered equivalent.

You can't have it both ways Mr (or Mrs) zippyRN.

Dose England have Emergency medical tech Basic or just paramedics? And how dose the firefighting system work there.. I am looking into what i would have to do if i was to move there and work..

The ambulance service in the UK is run by the National Health Service (NHS).

There are a number levels of training currently available. If you wish to work on the 'front line', that is attending 911 emergency calls (999 in the UK), then it is necessary to complete the EMT course. This is currently approx 9-12 weeks and covers the clinical and driving aspects of the job, followed by 12 months on the road as a 'trainee' before gaining your qualified status.

If you want to be a full paramedic then a 3 or 4 year university course is now the main route to qualification, and competition for places is extremely fierce. A UK paramedic is an independent health care professional, registered with the health professions council (their website has loads of information). UK paramedics use their own clinical judgement to treat patients, within set guidelines. Direct physician control does not happen.

The fire and rescue service is completely separate and has no input into the provision of ambulance or EMS care. Have a look at www.fire.gov.uk

Of course the Queen's english or She wouldn't be the Queen of England :wink:

zippyRN you really have to stop attacking American Paramedics and EMT's. Your own precious St Johns crews have less training yet you think they are "equivalent" to the NHS Ambulance Technicians.

an SJA crew has considerably more than 120 hours of training zero to hero... the minimum required by the USDOT EMT-B curriculum is somewhere in that area

EDIT: sorry i over egged the 120 hours for the USDOT curriculum it's 110

as can be seen in the nhtsa EMT-B currciulum document ( pg 7)

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ems/pub/emtbnsc.pdf

Uk PTS crews whether NHS or VAS, or reputable PAS have in excess of 120 hours training and only do PTS work

120 hours can't be inadequate for an EMT-B and considerably less training at a lower level for a St Johns person be considered equivalent.

given that SJA crews have access to the nHS service for support , assuming there aren't HCPs on duty with them rather than being potentially 'the help' for tens of not hundreds of miles ...

You can't have it both ways Mr (or Mrs) zippyRN.

200 + hours training and can call on help which will arrive in 14-19 minutes if not 8 vs 120 hours and potentiall no help for hours ...

in terms of the equivalence or otherwise of SJA ETA to QATs - the standards expected of ETA crews when assessed in practice or in other assessment is equivalent ( IHCD) question bank isn't used for theory assessments anymore, but the questiosn are equivalent - per the Senior registered Paramedics who wrote the SJA question bank... the principle differences in scope are drug therpaies and AED vs manual defib, there are other stumbling blocks usually down to the more developed clinical governance structures in place within SJA ( e.g. issues surrounding glucometry are down to percieved (and in some localities actual) inability to assure best practice is maintained ... )

HQC14/07 demonstrates current SJA training doctrine and given induction trainign which doesn't actually qualify anyone to do anything is a 'full weekend' (16 -20 hours ) ...

the 'Total First Aid ' course is 28 contact hours or 6-8 hours completion onto top of a FAW (24 contact hours) and doesn't include the casualty handling and AED competencies required ...

currently the Ambulance training courses are required to be overseen by a Registered paramedic as well as the requirement for all counties to have Medical, Nursing and Paramedic Senior volunteers to fulfill the clinical/ medical direction functions...