Painful Stimuli Limits?

pacman

"Atheras - who claimed she sustained a concussion, lost the hearing in her right ear and suffered damaged vision in her right eye as a result of the incident - said the indictment provided her some level of comfort."

This is what you get for slapping a pt. in this day and age.

The sternal rub is usually adequate in most cases, and I've even seen a medic apply pressure to a nailbed while no one was looking to asertain whether or not a pt was faking it. It turns out, she was, because when he did it, she yelled, "HEY! What the heck are you doing?!? Are ouy out of your mind?!?"

Nice post-ictal response from a shoplifter, eh?

Nobody was in the ambulance but us three, so let her claim that she has lost the use of her fingernail.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In court all you have to prove is it is the standard of care. B.... slapping someone is not considered standard of care. Most areas that I have seen you start sternum and try other areas such as running shears on bottom feet, not to cut them but see if response at extremities. I see so many posts saying trying to get person to stop faking, yes we do that, but painful stimuli is actually to determine a persons mental status. Some say should not leave any marks, a properly performed sternum rub will leave a mark.

Just the ramblings of a tired old man.

I just finished my basic class (yeah, I'm all wet behind the ears, I know it. :D ) and we were instructed not to do sternum anymore to assess for responsiveness. Anyone else being told that? I found it interesting since that was my first response when asked how to assess for response to painful stimuli.

As a general rule, the method of applying painful stimuli to assess responsiveness is left up to the caregiver, but probably shouldn't include slapping, punching, kicking, nipple-biting, nose-pulling, noogies, or an "atomic wedgie".

Slapping the patient to make them come around is only acceptable if you do it while shouting "Live, damn you, LIVE!!"

'zilla

Zilla I am :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If the sternal rub doesn't work I go to the nailbed, if unsuccessful on that attempt with our frequent flyer unresponsives I resort to an alcohol swab in each nostril........that usually works quite well.

Anyone else other than the frequent flyers gets airway management steps after the nailbed stimulus.

i remember when i took my EMR=EMT-B course 2 years a go i was told to shy away from the sternal rub but not that i should toss is from my inventory of trick's i prefer take index and middle finger's in hand squeeze and rub second knuckles together hurt's about as much as the pen on the nailbed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.