Starting a business for Entrepreneur’s Only

WANTYNU

If you get paid to work in EMS; do you have a second or want to have a second income and which of the following would you use to get this income?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Working one job with over time
    • Second EMS job (per-diem part time work at your current certification)
    • Working a second job outside of EMS
    • Have a side business
    • Thinking of starting side business.

OK, well I got that message. Keep to the subject, “working a business outside of EMS.”

I guess I’ll start with a simple Poll to see if this is even a thread worth having.

I hope that’s’ fair.

Please only answer this if you get paid to work in EMS.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you wanting to help us all get rich? I gotta some ocean front property in Arizona for sale cheap.

Cool, and with the hurricanes, earthquakes, and global warming it will probably be a small island with a nice beach... :lol:

Love the job, hate the pay, it seems on the bus the same topics get played again and again; What was the dispatcher thinking, what was the patient thinking, where to get food, and how much the pay sucks for what we do.

Seriously, it ain't squid that makes the world go round.

We have a TON of people here from all walks of life, and experiences I was hoping to get some ideas flowing and maybe a few pearls of wisdom.

Of course I expect in the mix a lot of wiseass comments, putdowns, and outright insults from foks who just like to read their own posts and have nothing constructive to add... :roll:

But some real discussion would be nice.

"Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,

So Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

JANIS JOPLIN

Love the job, hate the pay, it seems on the bus the same topics get played again and again; What was the dispatcher thinking, what was the patient thinking, where to get food, and how much the pay sucks for what we do.

Seriously, it ain't squid that makes the world go round.

We have a TON of people here from all walks of life, and experiences I was hoping to get some ideas flowing and maybe a few pearls of wisdom.

Of course I expect in the mix a lot of wiseass comments, putdowns, and outright insults from foks who just like to read their own posts and have nothing constructive to add... :roll:

But some real discussion would be nice.

Ok well I'm not entirely sure what you want us to discuss here but I will at least try to get it started. Keep in mind that this comes from my one course in business that I have taken in university. From your post it sounds like you want to be an entrepreneur to make money to supplement your income. Most of the time, you would be better off just working a normal job than hoping to make it big with your business. Entrepreneurs generally do not make loads of money, but rather do it for the freedom and sense of accomplishment that they get from it.

Looking specifically at your business (tactical oxygen wrenches for anyone who didn't know), has it been profitable yet?

If you want more money, why not go to university and get a better paying job that still allows you to work as an EMT on the side? Why not get into EMS management? If you are dead set on running a business, have you looking into franchises?

I'll take wise as a complement the rest I'll ignore. If you want discussion start out with a question that is clear and directs the discussion. As far as income I work a full time with benefits EMS job. Each month I work about about 96 hours for a second service with 16 of that being overtime, and I work about 48 hours with a 3rd service. I still have lots of free time with my family which is more important to me than all the money in the world. As far as owning a business, I did that owned a business for more than 5 years, grew to hate it. Made more money but there is no end to the work day. To keep it growing spent many nights working on the paper work side of it. Not worth the stress.

As far as the multilevel and other get rich schemes that are always promoted as not being get rich schemes, the only ones that make big money are those that are liers and thieves.

So what point are you wanting to discuss so I can give my wise opinion.

I can give my wise opinion.

Without requoting your entire post, this is the discussion I am looking for, I also agree family is everything!!!

But from my math you work about a 76 hours a week (96 + 48 + 160 = 304 hrs / month) that seems like a lot, how do you have lots of time leftover?

I have one other question, what did you used do?

Great points and post, thanks!

Also keep in mind for some this is all they have / have been trained for. For many the only logical step they see is Paramedic, then / or nurse or PA.

My point is, I find very few that can live on an EMS salary alone, and I am wondering what others do to get by (or hopefully better). There must be some success stories out there people can share?

Thanks again for making a serious reply.

Your welcome.

One question are you saying EMS meaning EMT because you the say next step is paramedic? Most areas EMT's receive very little pay because they receive very little education. Anyone that says they are in EMS because they love the work should be motivated to advance to Paramedic level, so they can do more for the people they love to help. It is a shame that paramedics are paid so poorly but that was another recent discussion.

One question are you saying EMS meaning EMT because you the say next step is paramedic?

Yet another great post and question.

I was referring to both in my last post, working 40 hours a week (the national standard) on any EMS Pay (EMT or Medic) just doesn't pay the bills.

Believe it or not, in the NYC system, there are a lot of “Professional” EMT’s (as in EMT-D), they don’t make the step to medic for a variety of reasons, the one I’ve heard the most is seniority, they get preference of where and when they work (get to choose their assigned shifts).

The other is pay (Again you make a GREAT point on how poorly medic’s are paid, and this just underlines the point), because after 7 – 8 years on the job, their pay is better than the starting pay as a medic, (which they would be given because Paramedic is a different job classification and pay scale) no matter how many years on the job, once they become medic’s, they get cut to the new medic starting pay, and they can’t afford the pay cut.

Crazy right?

[

But from my math you work about a 76 hours a week (96 + 48 + 160 = 304 hrs / month) that seems like a lot, how do you have lots of time leftover?

I have one other question, what did you used do?

96=4 days, 48=2 days, for the month that is the only time I am completely away from home.

My full time job I respond from my house, not required to be at the station. I am on call basically 14 days a month. We transport about 2 a day so about 8 hours spent on the ambulance, the rest is spent at home.

I work total of 20 days a month, leaves 10 days completely off duty. And again 14 days on duty I'm at my own house with my family. I know not the typical EMS job.

Income combined is about $4000 a month. Cost of living here is cheap, so easily survive on it.

I was a construction contractor. Work my butt off with my crews on job sites from early morning till dark. Then go home prepare equipment orders, study blue prints, prepare bids, etc. Hardly any quality time with my family.