EMT Basic course

Hello, I am about to start the EMT basic course here at my local community college. It is 160 hours of classroom and practical training. Can anyone tell me what else I will need to take so I can get certified as an EMT? I am expecting to continue this path to Paramedic at a later date. Ideas on other classes I should or will have to take? Thanks for the help!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I am about to start the EMT basic course here at my local community college. It is 160 hours of classroom and practical training. Can anyone tell me what else I will need to take so I can get certified as an EMT? I am expecting to continue this path to Paramedic at a later date. Ideas on other classes I should or will have to take? Thanks for the help!

What else you need to get certified? Probably just CPR but I'll let an American answer that for sure.

What courses should you take? Anatomy and physiology is an excellent start.

I would check with the school you will be attending. I'm assuming that because it is a 160 hour course it includes CPR. Most require CPR before admittance.

Anatomy & physiology would be a good start for paramedicine (it would also be a great help for your basic). Also take some college English, Math, and Biology.

• 4 weeks later...

I am assuming that you are speaking of the NREMTP course. If this is true, you will be required to take A&P, and the Hobbet exam. Don't go overboard with senseless education that is NOT pertaining to the Registry program. Don't waste your money on alot of other books either. Stay relaxed, and read your class books. You will do fine. As far as the NREMT-B program, everything you need to pass the written portion of the exam WILL be in your class book(s) issued. Find a medic that does not think he or she is a ParaGod, and they should be able to help you alot with the skills evaluation. Good luck!

I am assuming that you are speaking of the NREMTP course. If this is true, you will be required to take A&P, and the Hobbet exam. Don't go overboard with senseless education that is NOT pertaining to the Registry program. Don't waste your money on alot of other books either. Stay relaxed, and read your class books. You will do fine. As far as the NREMT-B program, everything you need to pass the written portion of the exam WILL be in your class book(s) issued. Find a medic that does not think he or she is a ParaGod, and they should be able to help you alot with the skills evaluation. Good luck!

Like we said in the good old days of usenet, "don't feed the troll!". I, however, realise you will. Happy hunting. :D

Edit: For those of us who are not into usenet slang: A poster is referred to as a "troll", if he/she knowingly posts inflammatory statements to start an argument. Feeding the troll would be when someone starts arguing with said troll, which will then escalate as the troll replies...

For those of us who are not into usenet slang: A poster is referred to as a "troll", if he/she knowingly posts inflammatory statements to start an argument. Feeding the troll would be when someone starts arguing with said troll, which will then escalate as the troll replies...

LOL! Well, if riskynremtp had not given such a good reply in the "failed static cardiology" thread next to this one, I too might suspect his motives. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on it though.

I would like to know what he considers to be "senseless education" though. Other than History, I can't think of a single course in my degree program that was not important to my medical education.

I would like to know what he considers to be "senseless education" though. Other than History, I can't think of a single course in my degree program that was not important to my medical education.

Believe it or not, history was my best subject in college - I loved it. Still do. Maybe I'll get a BA in history when I finish residency, in a decade or so. :lol:

I LOVED History too! I wish my chem and physics grades had been as good as my History grades, lol! But, as much as I love it, I can't honestly say it was terribly relevant to my medical education. On the other hand, I would never call it a waste of time either though.

Although, at my age, I've lived enough history to not really need a course in it. :lol:

Dmac: Its great that you want to be as prepared for your class as much as possible. Understand straight away that the emt-b course and certification are the bare-minimal requirements to enter into the EMS field. I dont think there is anything you should worry about taking except the course itself.

You sound like you have a plan in place. I'd suggest you find out how to get into the next available PARAMEDIC class as soon as possible after you complete the basic course. Dont waste time being a basic when you could already be bettering your life and your income.

Good Luck.

Somedic sends.

I LOVED History too! I wish my chem and physics grades had been as good as my History grades, lol! But, as much as I love it, I can't honestly say it was terribly relevant to my medical education. On the other hand, I would never call it a waste of time either though.

Although, at my age, I've lived enough history to not really need a course in it. :lol:

:lol: I can think of a few courses along the way that didn't exactly benefit a career in medicine...Icelandic literature...Danish...German...English, maybe...but then again, an educated person is expected to be able to have an intelligent conversation, right? At least that's how I justify the mandatory 5 courses on Icelandic literature... :roll: