Koolaid for ROSC

FL_Medic

Sorry my friend, but your opinion, although welcomed and respected, is way off base. I do concede that you are correct in the aspect of some medics not quite "up to par", but there are some really revolutionary services out there with well educated and top notch Paramedics. These are the services performing this procedure. Maybe this idea is not well taken in your area, but it is well supported in ours, only one hospital has not elected to continue this thereapy and we have elected to bypass that facility in the case of one of these presentations. We do have the needed manpower, diagnostic equipment (rectal is effective for this technique pre-hospital), and appropriate pharmacological interventions. Thus far, our results are outstanding, hopefully we will have something on paper by the end of the year. This is a wonderful treatment option, one that when combined with items such as the ITD, a CPR assist device such as the Lucas, and effective defibrillation, will show a dramatic increase in arrest survivability...................

Thanks, Houston is the agency that I din't mention because I wasn't sure if they started the modality yet. I hope to see the research from there soon.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake County EMS has been using cool NS for cardiac arrest patients for approx. a year now with great success. I have several friends employed there and the say it is wonderful. I haven't any hard facts, but will try and find out if they have them.

Here are a link they have posted showing the protocol.

http://www.wakeems.com/ICE/ihv11.13.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this, without my knowledge my agency has been planning on implementing induced hypothermia already. we are getting refridgerators for all our units and the local hospital system is on board. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! Interesting discussion! I work for Regional One Air Medical in Spartanburg, South Carolina. We were actually the first pre-hospital agency in North America to implement hypothermia induction in early 2005 and have utilized the protocol on numerous patients since then. In the last year and a half, the Chief Flight Nurse/Program Director and I have gone around the world teaching about our protocol and our results. Next month we will be teaching at the Australia College of Ambulance Professionals (ACAP) in Queensland, Australia and then to Prague, Czech Republic and Auckland, New Zealand. All of these countries are extremely interested in implementing hypothermia induction in the field with EMS (albeit it all began with Melbourne, Australia but since has not gained acceptance throughout Australia). We are hoping to see it gain wide acceptance here in the United States.

We actually have an unrestricted educational grant to provide hypothermia induction and protocol implementation consultation free to EMS agencies that have a receiving hospital that utilizes the hypothermia induction protocol. If you are interested in learning more about it, or would like to learn more about having us come and talk to you service, please feel free to e-mail me. I also have numerous studies and protocols (both in-hospital and pre-hospital) that I could share with you.

Thanks!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Can the authors or researchers from this study please contact me. I need to talk to one of them.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with them please get with me via PM's. I need a favor from one of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.