The role of EMTs in EMS

kristo

Methinks youknow the answer to your own questions.

If this is the status quo and the crews are ok with it then why change it?

If it is to advance patient care then we are talking about a whole nother ball game.

Either or, it doesn't affect me, it seems to affect a finite few in this one system so I say whatever works for them.

Methinks youknow the answer to your own questions.

I'm not sure I do. I do know that this does not exactly advance EMS as a profession.

If this is the status quo and the crews are ok with it then why change it?

I'm not even sure if it's necessarily status quo. Rural EMS in Iceland is currently under review, which is what drove me to really start thinking whether there might be any better options. Again, I must stress that I have no influence in the matter and I do not live or work in those areas (I grew up in a rural area, though). I don't even work in EMS, I'm just a student.

If it is to advance patient care then we are talking about a whole nother ball game.

If what is? The current system or it's review? Or me wondering? The reason for the review that is going on these days is to improve patient care.

I would be interested in any ideas you guys might have for this system. I realize it is different in a way from what you may be used to, though. There have been a lot of threads discussing the perfect system, or how to improve BLS-only, even volunteer, systems. They have all ended in the same way; educated paramedics. I believe that, in principle, that is the correct way to go wherever possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.