Bus Crash

with 40+ casualties why has not one requested MIO, MMT and MST ?

Ok I think I know what MIO is Medical Information Officer

But we didn't have one of those. Were just a tiny county with a total of two ambulances and a small volunteer fire department so MIO's, MMT's and MST's don't exist in our service.

But just for shits and grins, we activate all three but they will never arrive until the incident is over.

By the way, we were able to transport every victim within 2 hours of the incident with the ones inside the bus that required extensive extrication being out last. They went out by 2 ambulances and 3 helicopters to trauma centers and surrounding hospitals.

It was a cluster of course but hey, it worked out in the end.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay , I guess your ICS system is different from the one we use in CA . Wouldn't the MIO position be covered by the PIO ( public information officer ) appointed by the IC and not medical division ? I'm just as stumped as the others about the other 2 . This brings up an interesting point though . That is , the need for a standard ICS system for the entire country . Katrina and 9/11 are good examples of major incidents with people coming from all over who may not be using the same system . We need to standardize so we're all on the same page . Here in CA , we started the ICS ( incident command system ) concept and it's a very good system , unfortunately honed through a lot of practice . I keep hearing about this being a problem , you'd think it would've been dealt with by now .

CERTGUY

Guys keep in mind our roll . Fire handles rescue needs , we get them after they're out . Figureing out who goes where is the realm of the transport officer , not the IC . 150 miles isn't that far for military helicopters . Let the IC know your needs , he'll channel them to logistics , who'll get what you need .

CERTGUY

The abbreviations Zippy listed are from the UK, over here our major incident managment structure is slightly different to that used in the US.

MIO - Medical Incident Officer A doctor who has overall responsibility for all medical resources at the scene

MMT - Mobile Medical Team A team of doctors and nurses who work with ambulance staff to stabilize patients at the Casualty Clearing Station (treatment area) before they are transported to the receiving hospitals

MST - Mobile Surgical Team Similar to MMT but made up of more surgeons

Exactly the reason why when posting on a board that has such a diverse range of people on it, to NOT use abbreviations.

Here's a couple for you

10-60

10-61

10-62 and 10-63

Does anyone know what those mean?

10-60 - enroute

10-61 on scene

10-62 enroute to hosp

10-63 at hosp

those were the 10 codes I grew up in EMS using. I'll be not many people on this board use those that way.

So please when posting please do not use abbreviations - the abbreviation may mean one thing to you but a myriad of different meanings to others.