Who's good at persuasion/proposals?

So, it's pretty expensive to go to medic school and I make single digit pay. I'm going to TRY and see if I can write up a proposal/request to have my community help pay for medic school.

It's a long shot, I know, but there has to be a few persons with extra money who read Craig's List or the local paper ;)

I'm just looking for people willing to help me edit my proposal when I have a draft. Basically, explaining my situation, then explaining why I would be a good candidate, then explaining how they could help me and how that would in turn help their community.

Now, no one take my idea until I try it out first :lol:

So just reply or PM if you want to help me. I'll probably be appealing to an older successful crowd interested in their local community and in helping others.

Anthony

Anthony I hope your idea works. Thankfully I was approached and offered the chance to advance my education. Let us know how it goes. I'll be happy to look over what you have and offer my opinion.

W/o reading it the first thing would be to determine the issues that concern the people you are going to ask for money and point out how helping you will help them with what concerns them.

Ill give you a hand with it, i havent had much "formal" education on it, but ive written many similar things for EMS organizations and so on. shoot me a PM or email if you want and we can see if we can work something out

What kind of medic program are you looking into? If you can find one that is accredited (maybe at a local community college?), you can apply for scholarships through the school as well as federal aid. You can also apply for student loans.

I donno, I would look into those options first before you attempt to portray yourself as some sort of local hero in the making. Medic school isn't THAT expensive, I'm sure there are other avenues you can try before searching out that elusive EMS philanthropist.

What kind of medic program are you looking into? If you can find one that is accredited (maybe at a local community college?), you can apply for scholarships through the school as well as federal aid. You can also apply for student loans.

I donno, I would look into those options first before you attempt to portray yourself as some sort of local hero in the making. Medic school isn't THAT expensive, I'm sure there are other avenues you can try before searching out that elusive EMS philanthropist.

The one with the best reputation around here costs about $8,000 (there's only 3 in LA County). I'm not sure if that includes books. Since it's full-time, I also have to save up about 4 months worth of living expenses/rent/food. I make $8/hr. I'm already $30,000 in debt from college. I'd say it's a pretty big deal.

Hopefully my add won't come off as trying to be a hero, rather someone trying to get into a helping profession but having financial difficulties.

The program is accredited, but doesn't qualify for FAFSA or CalState grants, because it's private.

Here's some questions for you to think about as you put this plan together. Mind you, I'm not expecting you to post answers to these, because I don't think any of us are in a position to give you any money, lol. But these are things to consider, because these are questions any sane investor will ask you.

The one with the best reputation around here costs about $8,000 (there's only 3 in LA County). I'm not sure if that includes books. Since it's full-time, I also have to save up about 4 months worth of living expenses/rent/food. I make $8/hr.

And how much more are you going to be making as a medic? Show us some math. Show us that this is a sound financial investment with a real potential for payback, and not just something you wanna do cuz it's cool.

I'm already $30,000 in debt from college. I'd say it's a pretty big deal.

I think I'd leave that part out of your proposal. It might not be interpreted well by most. Thirty Gs and you still haven't managed an education that pays the bills? Why not? Bad choices? Bad priorities? Bad student? Poor planning? Poor attention span? How is my $8k investment going to change all that?

Hopefully my add won't come off as trying to be a hero, rather someone trying to get into a helping profession but having financial difficulties.

Financial difficulties are about more than money. It's about the ability to handle money competently. Look at those two losers in Reno who blew $50k and starved their children. You have to show a responsible plan to get somebody to foot your bills. So what is that plan? Keep working for the same private company for $11 dollars an hour after $8k of paramedic school? Are you hanging all your eggs in the FD basket?

The program is accredited...

By whom? For what?

I'm already $30,000 in debt from college. I'd say it's a pretty big deal

What ya been doing in college, dude??? Should have more to show for this sum of money..at least an associates I would think.

If your are asking someone to invest in you for Medic school, I think this may be an issue...Any investor is gonna want financials and what you have been doing with your time...Yes??

It may be better to finish college with a degree in something to show that you finish what you start...a little continuity goes a long way.Maybe by then you won't need investors.

Basically sounds like more trouble than it is worth...The best you could probably hope for would be a loan-not a subsidy that you would no doubt have to sign a contract for.. :?

What ya been doing in college, dude??? Should have more to show for this sum of money..at least an associates I would think.

If your are asking someone to invest in you for Medic school, I think this may be an issue...Any investor is gonna want financials and what you have been doing with your time...Yes??

It may be better to finish college with a degree in something to show that you finish what you start...a little continuity goes a long way.Maybe by then you won't need investors.

Basically sounds like more trouble than it is worth...The best you could probably hope for would be a loan-not a subsidy that you would no doubt have to sign a contract for.. :?

I have a bachelor's in biology...heavy coursework in Psychology and Spanish. I graduated 2 years ago. Since then I've interned with a clinical psychologist, worked a year as a teaching assistant in elementary school (which I've always wanted to do), supported/helped an Explorer program, gotten my EMT cert, took Japanese b/c I felt I had gotten fairly good at Spanish already, got hired at the most competitive EMT company in LA (not that it says much, but at least I'm not bottom of the barrel), and gained experience in a busy EMS system, while supporting myself. That's only in two years, if we go further back, I've done a whole lot more.

I also passed up a number of job offers, including one with a startup company that's now doing extreeeemely well. I'm where I'm at now, because I specifically wanted to pursue a job in EMS and I needed to get 6 to 12 months of 911 EMT experience (depending on the medic school). Sometimes I do feel like I should be further along, though....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.