New guy at work has no hustle

My favorite types of transfers were the VA transfers. Usually those transports took over an hour or more and the best ones were the WWII and Korean Veterans. They had stories that would make your toes curl, especially the men who were on the front lines.

Vietam vets were sometimes as good but many times they would not talk of their experiences.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was an FTO at my last company and had to fail 2 girls for being cement heads. During training practice one girl wanted to move the pt with a suspected spinal injury to the back board by moving him head and toe. Basically bending the pt spine. Amongst other reasons I falled her twice and she was fired.......its not a hard job but some are just cement heads.

that guy is my brother, and his Paramedic course was less than 5months long. He too didn't last in his 1st 911 job because of the "milk run" dialasis calls. I'm nearing the end of my 2 year paramedic program, and it's hard to listen to advice from him. He went back to waiting tables until he can find a system with more excitement. I think he could be good if his preceptors in school had better attitudes. I agree, he was lied to in school.

Next time your with a new guy like that before the shift tell him what you expect. I mean he is new you already have the job he is the one on probabtion and has to make an impression.

Maybe I wrote it up wrong in the initial post. I'm not the FTO or a shift supervisor, I was basically riding garbage on this particular shift. The FTO was supposed to drive, the new guy was supposed to handle the ppwk competently like he'd done the last couple of days, and step up his pt care and get signed off.

Glad to see him go. He was a waste of time.

And blaming his behavior on "being lied to" is just another excuse. Suck it up and do your job, move out of your mom's basement, and get on with being productive.

At what point do you say there is an anomoly in the system as opposed to great swathes of EMT candidates being oxygen thieves? There really only two reasons for issues such as this on the scale that Dust, Rid and a few others talk about. Either the system attracts idiots, or the system produces idiots. My experience here in Oz with univeristy graduates is that its a bit of both, especially with the attitude and "being lied to" proposal.

Don't blame the System, blame the idiot.

I would have to agree with Bushy. The system itself is at fault when the majority of those inhabiting the system are idiots. You can't blame the idiots themselves for taking an opening in the system when they see it. After all, the system asks no more of them than they have or can give, so why shouldn't they? The establishment of reasonably professional minimum entry level standards would quickly bring the number of such idiots in the field down to a statistical anomaly instead of the norm.

I am all for personal responsibilty. Yes, individuals should be striving to be the best they can be, regardless of minimum standards. But the fact is that the EMS system itself is the problem in the US.

DD,

I think you're wrong about the System being to blame. When you come up with a System that teaches boneheads common sense and turns lazy men into workhorses, I'll be all ears. Til then, EMS is an entry-level field filled with entry-level personnel.

If you see idiots all around you doing the same job you do, perhaps a mirror check is in order.

DD,

I think you're wrong about the System being to blame. When you come up with a System that teaches boneheads common sense and turns lazy men into workhorses, I'll be all ears. Til then, EMS is an entry-level field filled with entry-level personnel.

If you see idiots all around you doing the same job you do, perhaps a mirror check is in order.

Having read and reread that post over and over, it still seems to me that you are agreeing with me, not disagreeing. :dontknow:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.