burn sites and IV's

donedeal

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it contraindicated to start an IV on a burn site? If you can still see and palpate the vein? Does it matter if its a 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree burn?

Before we go telling you the answer, why don't you tell us what you think the answer is and why.

If you don't mind an explorer adding input:

First and second are fine, as long as you don't penetrate blisters on the second degree. But couldn't the vein's be injured by a third degree burn, so the meds wouldn't circulate passed it?

The poster above asked the original poster to tell us what s/he thought before we answered, yet you answered...sooo....why would MedicRN not mind? I say this non-rude tone.

Deeper burns with subq edema can disrupt circulation, so my answer would be, yes you can start and IV directly on a burn site, so as the site or areas proximal are not edematous, which would result from full thickness burns.

It's not an ideal location to start an IV, but if you have no other option you can do it. I always look pretty seriously for another point of access if a victim is burned. I like to stay away from the burn site to avoid further pain to an already painful site, and also to avoid the risk of further introducing infection to the site. The two biggest problems for burn victims are fluid loss (dehydration) and infection. I try to cover the area that's burned with sterile dressings to prevent contamination. We usually have other options. Like I said, it's a last resort only to cannulate burn.

Shane

NREMT-P

Before we go telling you the answer, why don't you tell us what you think the answer is and why.

I LOVE this idea! This should be REQUIRED policy for all questions asked here, unless posed in a scenario! It forces us to exercise our own critical thinking skills, as well as doing some basic research on every question we ask, and then put ourselves "out there" for review and critique. Those are three crucial steps for self-improvement!

Plus 10! :thumbright:

I for one have never been able to landmark a vein over a 3rd degree area....

As for first and second...try another place? IO also comes to mind if they're real crispy...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.