Patients rights Yes No Sometimes Maybe Never

It has come up on a couple of posts. Do you do what the patient wants? Do they have right to say no to some treatment? Do they have right to choose ER they want to go to? What are the legals if ignore requests? What are the legals if we comply with requests and they die and we have only our word that we did what they wanted?

Or do we just RSI them so we can get what we want to do done? :o :twisted:

I would call dispatch and ask their opinion.... Whoops.... Wrong thread.

I take it we are asking this about situations where implied consent does not apply.

If a patient refuses an IV, with out being through more advanced ethics class then my EMT book offers, I would explain to them the situation, the benefits of the IV procedure, and what is associated with it. If they still refuse, of course you would want it documented. I may even go as far as having the patient sign that portion of my PCR affirming they denied the treatment.

My question, if they deny it while conscious, and then they lose consciousness, does implied consent take over?

I would call dispatch and ask their opinion.... Whoops.... Wrong thread.

I take it we are asking this about situations where implied consent does not apply.

If a patient refuses an IV, with out being through more advanced ethics class then my EMT book offers, I would explain to them the situation, the benefits of the IV procedure, and what is associated with it. If they still refuse, of course you would want it documented. I may even go as far as having the patient sign that portion of my PCR affirming they denied the treatment.

My question, if they deny it while conscious, and then they lose consciousness, does implied consent take over?

Dispatchers suck oops sorry wrong thread. :o:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

80% I have no problem going where the pt wants.

10% are drunks. They are going where the cops and crew decide.

5% are psychs. You got no choice there.

5% I ain't going into NYC, AC, PA, or any other hospital more than 10 miles away, outside of my county and neighboring, or out of state. DEAL with it. Call a private service to take you to Columbia Pres for your stubbed toe and watch your insurance kick it back.

Regarding treatment...I've had a few patients, retired RNs, retired paramedics, who were ACTUALLY AWESOME patients (and a few super know it alls asses who wanted us to do stuff that we were not capable of and call was not necessary for ALS). Had one once that I honestly froze up on scene from seeing the injury but the pt was calm and was cool and I just turned into a robot while doing what he told me to. Then I finally snapped out of it and we were laughing and joking all the way to the ER.

Where I live our local hospital is a band aid station and no one wants to go there. But if we get a POA or if the patient is alert and can sign a premade form to by-pass the closest facality then we take them 30 more min down the road.

As far as treatments they refuse doucement and then if they crash YOU can work with that.

But as long as they are in their right minds you can't go against what they want and render a treatment that might get your butt sued off for a violation.

Terr

DOCUMENT everything they refuse. They don't want to be put on a backboard and don't want a c-collar, document, and have them sign next to it. They don't want you to start an IV, document it and have them sign. At least, thats what I was taught..

DOCUMENT everything they refuse. They don't want to be put on a backboard and don't want a c-collar, document, and have them sign next to it. They don't want you to start an IV, document it and have them sign. At least, thats what I was taught..

If its not documented it NEVER happened ........that is what i was taught

terr

OPPS POA= power of attorney or responsible party forgot you guys dont speak nursing home........lol

I will take my -5 points and run with them....

Spenac bite me :D:D:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.