Educational Nightmare in Alberta

I'd really rather we did not get into names on this topic. Who was involved is really irrelevant to this forum. It is the professional issues involved that are the important topic of discussion.

Naming names is just going to get this topic closed, and rightfully so.

Agreed totaly!

So on a sidebar, a Question posed:

Could the internet/ er EMT City be an effective means of assisting to unofficially "Police" the Worldwide profession of EMS?

Comments from the peanut gallery. :twisted:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really rather we did not get into names on this topic. Who was involved is really irrelevant to this forum. It is the professional issues involved that are the important topic of discussion.

Naming names is just going to get this topic closed, and rightfully so.

I wholeheartedly agree, which is why I said something about the original post, which had gone unchecked until now.

Lets drop this unfortunate "fau pax" by 8151 as an error in good judgement.

Because it isn't a 'faux pas', all you have to do is look at the individuals post history which you will quickly find is severely lacking in anything productive. As for myself, I believe that one can speak for another when you can comment on their professionalism and character.

First of all... If you really want to know what school this girl goes to, it is pretty easy to just do a search on all her posts in that forum and she tells you.

Secondly, I find it ironic, that to me it seemed her major concern in the post, is the PVC's and the abnormal rythms. Well maybe not ironic, however, funny. It reflects to what standard of instruction that student has been taught at.

Thirdly and finally, I fear that everyone is complaining about this, but has or will ACP contacted about this. Everyone knows that apathy runs wild in todays society and even more I find in our line of practise. Has someone here said something or sent an email to ACP in regards to this, you dont have to post it publiclly, just send me a PM in regards to this.

Now my two cents,

What right did this instructor have to discharge a Defibrillator on a pillow or even a student. I am not a Defib technician, however, I would suspect that shorting out an archaic machine would decreese the efectivness of the defib. Also what the heck is an Artifact-finder 10 doing on a standby unit, again I am not a Defib Technician, but am confident that they cannot be updated to current standards, not even sure if they could be updated to the last standards. Now if they were used as just an ECG, well anyone who has used one of these would know they pretty much know that anyone who sneezes within 30 feet, will show up as artifact on the machine. In addition there is a million, well at least a 100, Lifepak 300s out there that are pretty much being given away, that could have been used for a ECG, as they are slightly better at tracings.

Agreed totaly!

So on a sidebar, a Question posed:

Could the internet/ er EMT City be an effective means of assisting to unofficially "Police" the Worldwide profession of EMS?

Comments from the peanut gallery. :twisted:

There is no way that this forum (emt city) could be an effective means of assisting to unofficially police the profession of EMS until every member of the EMS community is a member of this forum.

It would be impossible unless names were given and like someone has posted before, this is an alleged incident. Plus our forum has had in the past someone who posted that they were going to kill themselves so how do we know that this actually happened and is not a drama queen or King wanting attention?????

Before we cast stones, we need to be sure that those stones are being casted at the right person.

If we become the unofficial police of the profession of EMS then might we be caught up in the moment and accuse or police some innocent individual.

I for one agree, professionalism is missing from SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY People these days and this forum would become a very bogged down place and a place that many would shy away from if we started to pass judgement on the professionalism of alleged incidents.

I think it is more imperitive that we work behind the scenes of our own agencies and houses to assure that our houses/agencies are professional. WE all do things that others consider unprofessional.

Drive 5 miles per hour over the speed limit

Talk about patients to our co-workers. (HIPAA violation)

Talk about one another behind their backs (gossip)

Bitch and moan about management in a forum like this rather than confront the problems in management.

Until we as a group can say that we are professional 100% of the time then we start to walk up a very slippery slope in policing others.

I just don't think that our place as members of this forum or this forum overall to be the police. It's a noble gesture and noble endeavor but unless we are prepared for kickback and resistance then we need to mind our own houses and services.

Professionalism starts one person at a time. Not an industry at a time.

Disregard. Poor judgment was exercised.My apologies.

A person's reputation is all one has, especially in an industry as cut throat as EMS. I have been witness to some of the oldest 'friends' ruining one another's advancement in this business...I would encourage everyone to read the following definitions carefully if for nothing else but to protect yourself. Libel and Slander are punishable by law as well as within one's own governing body...and not as difficult to prove as one might think. Equally so, nothing is ever completely anonymous online:

LIBEL

Law

a. defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.

b. the act or crime of publishing it.

c. a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.

SLANDER

Law

defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

There is an excellent novel which provides a humourous explanation of this topic and it's implications: "Leaven of Malice" by Robertson Davies. I read it in Junior High so it should be well within everyone's reading comprehension level.

I think it is more imperitive that we work behind the scenes of our own agencies and houses to assure that our houses/agencies are professional. WE all do things that others consider unprofessional.

Drive 5 miles per hour over the speed limit

Talk about patients to our co-workers. (HIPAA violation)

Talk about one another behind their backs (gossip)

Bitch and moan about management in a forum like this rather than confront the problems in management.

Until we as a group can say that we are professional 100% of the time then we start to walk up a very slippery slope in policing others.

I just don't think that our place as members of this forum or this forum overall to be the police. It's a noble gesture and noble endeavor but unless we are prepared for kickback and resistance then we need to mind our own houses and services.

Professionalism starts one person at a time. Not an industry at a time.

Well, sorry to disagree but leadership is of a key note importance in the area professionalism it should be modeled first, then others may follow that model. One HAS to establish the correct acceptable conduct prior to evaluating the actions of others, it appears that some peer pressure has been very successful, in this case now and an sincere apology issued as well. This Is the way to conduct the profession, not a review of all postings by who ever and whatever, everyone has a right to there opinions truely .... well, in the free world.

I would like to point out that this international forum (and to its membership) be cognitive to the fact that the laws of one jurisdiction vs another are a waste of farking time quoting....there is NO HIPPO in Alberta, on the other hand their is few Moose or two, that said it appears that there is a consensus of percieved professionalism with the membership that take the time to discuss issues pertaining to the industry is alive and well.

Professionalism and the RIGHT thing to do is a very strong influence in my world and it guides me as when I get a gut feeling that something is odd, I for one WILL put my nose in peoples busniess if I believe it will correct misadventure, so rest assured that "some" that have had their reputations placed at stake here, have been duly notified.

cheers

ps: sometimes one just never knows who they are speaking too and about....I digress.

Well, sorry to disagree but leadership is of a key note importance in the area professionalism it should be modeled first, then others may follow that model. One HAS to establish the correct acceptable conduct prior to evaluating the actions of others, it appears that some peer pressure has been very successful, in this case now and an sincere apology issued as well. This Is the way to conduct the profession, not a review of all postings by who ever and whatever, everyone has a right to there opinions truely .... well, in the free world.

I would like to point out that this international forum (and to its membership) be cognitive to the fact that the laws of one jurisdiction vs another are a waste of farking time quoting....there is NO HIPPO in Alberta, on the other hand their is few Moose or two, that said it appears that there is a consensus of percieved professionalism with the membership that take the time to discuss issues pertaining to the industry is alive and well.

Professionalism and the RIGHT thing to do is a very strong influence in my world and it guides me as when I get a gut feeling that something is odd, I for one WILL put my nose in peoples busniess if I believe it will correct misadventure, so rest assured that "some" that have had their reputations placed at stake here, have been duly notified.

cheers

ps: sometimes one just never knows who they are speaking too and about....I digress.

Thank you for saying that!

I just dont think that this can go without something being done, its one thing that it was done by a fellow emt, but its an entirly differnent that it was done by an instructor.

Having said that, now that us members of the college who are empowerd by the knowledge of this event, do we not have the responsibility to report it to Conduct and Competency comittee? Is this any differnt that the member who got his licence suspended because he did not tell ACP that he saw his partner jerking off into a k-basin while his partner was in the back with an u/c pt?

masta that is a well put argument. This is alleged and not proven yet. Before we go on a witch hunt and crucify this particular person (again no names) we need to get all the parties involved and sort it out. If this indeed happened then the person in question should be disciplined but if it didn't then the person making the statements should also face a similar amount of discipline.

like I said, professionalism starts at the individual level and not the industry level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.