Demand Valve for Pulmonary Edema?

CivilDefense2002

While anything I posted in this string was either or both anecdotal and memory lane, and nothing I could document as statistics, I was glad to assist, in whatever way my information could have been used.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions and links to research on the anecdotes I've heard about its use in PE was what I was looking for. From the lack of any research, and the great info posted here, seems like those anecdotes are just that.

Thanks for all the help.

CivilDefense2002

I honestly don't know what you are looking for then. I provided links to almost a hundred pieces of MEDICAL research on positive pressure including the Demand Valve and you call them "anecdotes"? Either you are not familiar with reading medical research or like Dust said "you've made up your mind already". All you had to do is go to any medical search engine like Medscape or PubMed for the info. The educational links I gave you should give you some basics with even more links. Medical research is not going to tell you to buy this or buy that. It will enable you to be a more informed consumer. I think you expected everyone to agree with you. And yes, maybe you should listen to some of the elders who have "been there, done that".

Uhh, I wasn't talking about you and your posts. I was talking about the anecdotes I have heard that MTV's were useful in CHF and other pulmonary edema situations as a "poor man's CPAP."

I came hear seeking information and research - positive or negative - that showed anything about MTV's utility in pulmonary edema. I couldn't find a thing on it, and nobody I talked to could give me anything more than "I don't know" or anecdotal evidence. It is obvious from the complete lack of research on the subject (I was concerned it was just my PubMed and google-fu that was at fault), that it is unlikely there is any proven benefit. Whether or not there is one would require testing, but the discussion here of the mechanism by which demand valve operates shows me it would be at most a marginal benefit. Nothing like the anecdotes I had heard "promised."

Whether or not demand valve is effective for ventilating apneic patients is a whole 'nother discussion. One which has already been decided at my agency due to the overwhelmingly positive research on the subject (found on PubMed and elsewhere by the way), the new AHA guidelines, and the experience of our own local "elders." I wouldn't mind presenting what I've found on the topic, and discussing the pros/cons vs. BVM, but wanted to stay on the subject I started.

Thanks again, your links were especially useful.

-Nick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.