BC Ambulance Service hiring process

Thanks for the very sound advice Al. I most definitely intend to go for my PCP ASAP. The only reason I'm applying before I've done it is because I want to get my foot in the door and accumulate some seniority. Also I really dislike doing much of the private sector work. Going three weeks without so much as handing out a bandaid really doesn't do anything to increase my professional experience. With Industrial EMS it's either nothing or the ^*&(* really hits the fan. No in between for the most part.

As for working in small rural stations. I think I'll quite enjoy putting in my time there. Some off my top picks on my station list selection were Golden, Field, Rossland, Lilloet. I grew up in a rural area so it won't take much adjustment for me. Also I'd love to spend some time working in the Kootenays. Climbing ice and rock, and skiing are pretty high on my list of favorite activities so anywhere in that region would be a good fit.

Cheers,

Ed

Field would be a perfect fit for the climbing lifestyle. All the beer climbs are in field...awesome ice climbing. Mega alpine objectives close by...tons of cragging at Lake Louise, Banff and Canmore. All that ice climbing and alpine climbing on the Icefields Parkway. Mmmmmmmm *drool* Golden would be o.k. You should look into Revelstoke as well. Rogers Pass is very close and has some amazing alpine climbing and mountaineering. Damn I love it here.

• 4 months later...

Just an update while I'm here for anyone following along. I started with BCAS station 318 in Lillooet Jan. 1, 2008. It's a good group here and I've been working enough I won't need to take a second job.

I'm also looking forward to taking my PCP this year. I'm applying to the Academy of Emergency Training program in Burnaby for this spring. If I don't make it into the May 5 session then I guess I'll be in a fall session.

Cheers,

Ed

• 3 months later...

EMR as a Stopgap towards the PCP?

Not likely, although that would make sense. I have Driver Onlys and my upper mangement thinks thats just super as it is.

Rockshoes- I've hired 6 and only dropped 1 through the behavioral interview. Just remember that what we want are stories. show your thought process is sound and present.

Tell me a time when you had to deal with a very high stress situation.-for example.

Situation, Task ,Action, Result

remember also that when i'm selecting questions from the list, i'm looking for ones that sound even remotely like they make sense since most of them don't.

The hiring process for BCAS is cumbersome and involved as we like to thouroghly screen through all the applicants that we don't have

It took me six months to get hired and i almost gave up frustrated.

I'm sure you will be fine. Just be patient.

EMR as a Stopgap towards the PCP?

Not likely, although that would make sense. I have Driver Onlys and my upper mangement thinks thats just super as it is.

Rockshoes- I've hired 6 and only dropped 1 through the behavioral interview. Just remember that what we want are stories. show your thought process is sound and present.

Tell me a time when you had to deal with a very high stress situation.-for example.

Situation, Task ,Action, Result

remember also that when i'm selecting questions from the list, i'm looking for ones that sound even remotely like they make sense since most of them don't.

The hiring process for BCAS is cumbersome and involved as we like to thouroghly screen through all the applicants that we don't have

It took me six months to get hired and i almost gave up frustrated.

I'm sure you will be fine. Just be patient.

Thanks for the tips bosc. I've since been hired and have been working at 318 in Lillooet as of the 1st of January. I'm about to start my PCP course with The Academy of Emergency Training on the 26th of this month (Let's just say my experience with the JI through SAR put me off of them). All in all it's been an interesting ride so far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.