EMS publicity, only negative, why? EMS lawyers help us.

No one knows anything about EMS except we must all be scum. Seems the only publicity we get is the bad. For example:

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/articl...n=1&id=5429

[web:8376ed32a9]http://www.emsresponder.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=5429[/web:8376ed32a9]

#1 How the hell could someone like this be allowed in EMS or even as a lowly FF. With convictions should be out in the cold. Sorry have no sympathy for child molesters. This is all the publicity we get, the bad, the mistakes.

#2 We really need to find ways legally around the big old HIPPO so we can let people see what we do. Telling them does nothing. Why can't we get film out like LE and FF that makes it look like we save lives on every call. People want to see action, drama, blood, and guts or they assume we do nothing. Why do people back FF and LE, it is because they publicly display the most dramatic scenes. They do not just tell people we go put out fires etc, Or we occasionally shoot bad guys, no they get footage out there. In EMS basically all we can do is give stats to the public. You tell me you did cpr means nothing, but if had video in background of us shocking, pumping chest, intubating, lots of drugs and other equipment visible, it becomes real. If it's being done on dummy not going to cut it. For us to be seen as a must have service like, LE and FF, we must find way for the public to see us in action. The public doesn't seem to understand that LE and FF rarely do the things that make the news thats why they have no problem giving money and support. EMS is never seen so we must be doing nothing to benefit, we're just taxi drivers, so why give us money or support. The videos we need out there are usually the futile ones, the ones we will never get back but do the most work so requesting signature authorizing us to use video and photos ain't going to happen. Just today on the news so FF that in my opinion made some bad choices but got some great publicity because they came diving out of burning building. I can almost bet that will be used in some publicity add soon, more money for FF's. Look at the popular movies, the pay per view events, what usually does best is the action packed blood and gore.

Just like FF and LE most of our day to day activities suck but we need to be able to show the good ones so people will recognize we exist. When people think of EMS almost all assume that we are FF, yuk, spit. I once was a firemonkey and respect the work done and don't blame them for taking advantage of all the good video to milk the public for all it's worth.

We need to find some way to get our rare good calls out in public to.

Sorry about the rant.

EMS lawyers on here provide some guidance how we could legally do this. Help us find a way to actually let the public see what we do. People need to see us working on real patients, they don't want to read stats.

I don't think we need a publicity agent, nor an attorney to change things. We need EMT's that have a goal for EMS to be a profession. This means legislation, issuance of license, and requirements of having a formal education. (Hmm, have we heard this before? )Then after all of this occurs, we will see a positive image, because it will be there.

Unfortunately, majority of EMT's are lazy in their professional development. They could care less, what goes on in the public, or for that goes in their own profession, as long as that last pay check clears. Most EMT's love to whine and complain, but very few take action to ever change things.

It would not matter if we had the best attorney's available, they don't have much to work with. Don't believe me, just read or attempt to read posts on different EMS forums. It is shameful, and then when one points out the disgrace of poor thought pattern or writing skills, they are the ones criticized.... makes sense?

Do you really want a film crew following most of the EMS out there? Uniforms that are thread worn, and shirt tails hanging out, but alas everyone usually will have a baseball cap on. Compare services out there do we really want the public to see such, maybe it is a good thing to be hidden until we clean up our own act.

R/r 911

No one knows anything about EMS except we must all be scum. Seems the only publicity we get is the bad. For example:

#1 How the hell could someone like this be allowed in EMS or even as a lowly FF. With convictions should be out in the cold. Sorry have no sympathy for child molesters. This is all the publicity we get, the bad, the mistakes.

First of all, if you're so concerned about our image let's not resort to bashing "lowly" firefighters. Let's conduct ourselves as professionals and extend to them the professional courtesy that we all seem to desire oursevles. While the majority of us might agree that firefighter's don't make the best EMS providers, they do still provide a valuable emergency service in the arena for which they are trained.

#2 We really need to find ways legally around the big old HIPPO so we can let people see what we do. Telling them does nothing. Why can't we get film out like LE and FF that makes it look like we save lives on every call. People want to see action, drama, blood, and guts or they assume we do nothing. Why do people back FF and LE, it is because they publicly display the most dramatic scenes. They do not just tell people we go put out fires etc, Or we occasionally shoot bad guys, no they get footage out there. In EMS basically all we can do is give stats to the public. You tell me you did cpr means nothing, but if had video in background of us shocking, pumping chest, intubating, lots of drugs and other equipment visible, it becomes real. If it's being done on dummy not going to cut it. For us to be seen as a must have service like, LE and FF, we must find way for the public to see us in action. The public doesn't seem to understand that LE and FF rarely do the things that make the news thats why they have no problem giving money and support. EMS is never seen so we must be doing nothing to benefit, we're just taxi drivers, so why give us money or support. The videos we need out there are usually the futile ones, the ones we will never get back but do the most work so requesting signature authorizing us to use video and photos ain't going to happen. Just today on the news so FF that in my opinion made some bad choices but got some great publicity because they came diving out of burning building. I can almost bet that will be used in some publicity add soon, more money for FF's. Look at the popular movies, the pay per view events, what usually does best is the action packed blood and gore.

Like Rid mentioned, do you really want camera crews following you around all the time filming your day to day activities hoping to catch a few minutes of sensational film? As far as hollywood movies, the action is what people want. And even in a significant medical call, the action just is not that captivating to keep the attention of an audience. Look at most of the ER type shows on TV (the shower ER and such), they focus more on personal conflicts and relationships then they do the medicine. Why is that? It's because the medicine goes above the head of most people and it really isn't that exciting. A police officer arresting a bad guy; most people know enough about the law to know when someone is the "bad" guy. A firefighter putting out a fire; people know what fire is and they know it to be dangerous. A paramedic treating an MI or a patient in CHF; not so exciting unless you intimately know the job.

Just like FF and LE most of our day to day activities suck but we need to be able to show the good ones so people will recognize we exist. When people think of EMS almost all assume that we are FF, yuk, spit. I once was a firemonkey and respect the work done and don't blame them for taking advantage of all the good video to milk the public for all it's worth.

Another point as far as day to day views and thoughts of EMS compared to the FD and PD is that people think of them more often because as a society we tend to be more concerned with our physical possessions then our health. The FD and PD are the services most people think of when it comes to protecting these valuables. EMS is like an insurance policy, you don't know how good it is or how important it is to have one until you really need to use it. And after that, it's too late to start thinking about what should have been in place.

We need to find some way to get our rare good calls out in public to.

Why?

Sorry about the rant.

EMS lawyers on here provide some guidance how we could legally do this. Help us find a way to actually let the public see what we do. People need to see us working on real patients, they don't want to read stats.

If you really want to do this, why do you need to have an lawyer offer guidance? Get together with your service and work to improve the image and more importantly to provide public education about what we do. Hold open houses at the station. Be active in the community. Go to a local sports game and just open up your truck for people to look through and ask questions. Make sure you're dressed appropriately. Be professional and polite. Work with other agencies in your service area and start a program like www.everyfifteenminutes.com. This would allow the public to see a "dramatic" call, show that we work along side the PD and FD, see what we're capable of, help to increase the effects of driving while intoxicated and bring your service to the front line of the community that you work in. In fact, I'd be surprised if the local papers didn't run a story if you started something like that.

The guidance and knowledge of how to change our image is there, it's just that the majority of people don't want to put in that much effort since this is a stepping stone to something else for most people and not their career.

Shane

NREMT-P

R/r I agree we all need to be more professional. On an individual basis we all should strive to improve. While it improves some of the image still the public has no idea what we do. Yes there are services and medics you don't want on film.

My point is we need to be able to get a positive dramatic image out there like fire does. At this point we can't promote ourselves except with pics of ourselves and our training. Thats not enough to sway the public. The public needs to see the vomit, the blood, etc. They need to see the dramatic, which is rare just like the really good fires are rare. At this point the public perceives us as taxi um ambulance drivers. They need to see what we do. We need a media blitz showing the good gory calls so they see us doing life saving work. At present the comments from the public show they look at EMS as taxi drivers, this part of why they gripe about being billed such high prices for calling. They have not seen our work so they think we just provide a comfortable place to lay down and rest on the way to see the doctor.

As far as a film crew why not like fire companys have an it in house. Take some of the best footage and photos and release it to get publicity. Help the public see what they are paying for.

The reason I ask the lawyers to get involved what is a legal way this could be done or is there a way?

First of all, if you're so concerned about our image let's not resort to bashing "lowly" firefighters. Let's conduct ourselves as professionals and extend to them the professional courtesy that we all seem to desire oursevles. While the majority of us might agree that firefighter's don't make the best EMS providers, they do still provide a valuable emergency service in the arena for which they are trained.

Like Rid mentioned, do you really want camera crews following you around all the time filming your day to day activities hoping to catch a few minutes of sensational film? As far as hollywood movies, the action is what people want. And even in a significant medical call, the action just is not that captivating to keep the attention of an audience. Look at most of the ER type shows on TV (the shower ER and such), they focus more on personal conflicts and relationships then they do the medicine. Why is that? It's because the medicine goes above the head of most people and it really isn't that exciting. A police officer arresting a bad guy; most people know enough about the law to know when someone is the "bad" guy. A firefighter putting out a fire; people know what fire is and they know it to be dangerous. A paramedic treating an MI or a patient in CHF; not so exciting unless you intimately know the job.

Another point as far as day to day views and thoughts of EMS compared to the FD and PD is that people think of them more often because as a society we tend to be more concerned with our physical possessions then our health. The FD and PD are the services most people think of when it comes to protecting these valuables. EMS is like an insurance policy, you don't know how good it is or how important it is to have one until you really need to use it. And after that, it's too late to start thinking about what should have been in place.

Why?

If you really want to do this, why do you need to have an lawyer offer guidance? Get together with your service and work to improve the image and more importantly to provide public education about what we do. Hold open houses at the station. Be active in the community. Go to a local sports game and just open up your truck for people to look through and ask questions. Make sure you're dressed appropriately. Be professional and polite. Work with other agencies in your service area and start a program like www.everyfifteenminutes.com. This would allow the public to see a "dramatic" call, show that we work along side the PD and FD, see what we're capable of, help to increase the effects of driving while intoxicated and bring your service to the front line of the community that you work in. In fact, I'd be surprised if the local papers didn't run a story if you started something like that.

The guidance and knowledge of how to change our image is there, it's just that the majority of people don't want to put in that much effort since this is a stepping stone to something else for most people and not their career.

Shane

NREMT-P

It seems my rant distracted from the point. The point is all the stats given in public education are not visual and people forget or do not fully grasp what is being said. The reason FF are able to get public behind them they show dramatic images for emphasis. If we could release some dramatic images showing us saving lives might help public see why they need us at least as much if not more than the fire dept. I can send out fliers, release educational info in the local media, do presentations, etc but if the public sees no actual events they forget or ignore. People need reality to be swayed. Public events are great but again no action it's not real to them. In house photos and videos could be used showing real work would stick far better than shaking hands and talking. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words. Why do we need the rare photos what does the public remember about the FF the rare time one runs out of a burning building with a child or pet in their arms. Thats what we need people to see otherwise they just see taxi with toys.

I am not trying to start a fight on this topic, just hoping to find a real way to show the public what we really do.

The EMT mentioned in the article is not a "lowly" FF or a FF at all I bet. SFFD has a division for EMS only with a position for a straight up EMT @ close to $40k a year I believe (very busy EMS city).

Several cities in CA have transporting EMS divisions and provide excellent service so you probably can't lump all FFs into the "poor EMS provider" category.

Interesting that SFFD will hire people who do not have certs issued by a local EMS agency (that was req for my job just a few miles north).

I agree with some of the above posts... 1) the Prehospital environment could become more professional and 2) Be recognized better for what is done. Imagine what might happen if our next president gets universal healthcare and people stop worrying about ambulance trip costs.

This article is just one of many articles that is being ran throughout California to call attention to a broken State system. There have been several articles published in this series. Unfortunately it can be taken as a personal attack toward EMTs, it is meant to correct an on going problem. If an EMT gets in trouble in one county, he/she can just work in another county and the State is none the wiser. Until California gets a Statewide reporting system or brings all the EMTs under the same responsbile regulating agency, there will continue to be more articles like this. Much of the support for these articles is coming from the EMTs themselves who are leaking these stories to the newspapers. They too do not want to be responsible for working with unprofessionals.

Paramedics and EMTs are getting their share of good publicity from Hollywood and news agencies. Feel good articles just don't always make the front page.

I also believe some of the EMS professionals in California are planning a PR campaign after change at the State level. If would be futile to run it now.

The EMT mentioned in the article is not a "lowly" FF or a FF at all I bet. SFFD has a division for EMS only with a position for a straight up EMT @ close to $40k a year I believe (very busy EMS city).

Several cities in CA have transporting EMS divisions and provide excellent service so you probably can't lump all FFs into the "poor EMS provider" category.

Interesting that SFFD will hire people who do not have certs issued by a local EMS agency (that was req for my job just a few miles north).

I agree with some of the above posts... 1) the Prehospital environment could become more professional and 2) Be recognized better for what is done. Imagine what might happen if our next president gets universal healthcare and people stop worrying about ambulance trip costs.

Universal healthcare is a long way off if ever in USA. Even if new president is 2 term will take longer than that. To many fights for and against. Politicians may never come to an agreement to even get it started.

Still looking for input for legal method to show actual EMS work with real patients. Thanks.

What we need is actual footage of when we do an emergency c-sect in the field no wait that was from saved. I really feel that actual photos or video could help our quest to be viewed as medical professionals, it needs to be left in control of us so it doesn't go after the negative. Needs to be in house, but the question is how legally? Pics of us in blood and guts front page, just like FF carrying baby out of burning buildings.

Why are you striving so much for a glorius (if not bloody) image for EMS? That's not what we are, or even what the job is like most of the time. While I think your intentions are good, I think your means of trying to affect change is wrong. While it might not sound as intense, public information and education is a much better means of making the public aware of what we do and how we operate. Ever offer to go to the senior center, school or any other public assembly in your service area to offer some education and general information? Do a blood pressure screening clinic for the community. Talk to people to raise their awareness. This idea of trying to improve our image with the dramatic, bloody, life saving call is only going to lead to the public believing we are something that we are not in reality. Do those calls happen? Absolutely. Are they common? Not a chance. Let's make improvements of our public perception by being honest with the public about what we do and what our role is in their healthcare; not mislead them to make us seem more glorious then we are. A well presented public display (seminar, open house, etc) will form a lasting opinion and impression on those in the community that you serve. Like I said before, pursue that as a means of causing a change rather than the misleading glory photos that you so desperately seem to want in the news.

I'm okay with quietly remaining in the background and knowing how I fit into the healthcare system if the only alternative is misleading images of what the job is like and what we do.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.