Diabetic EMT/Paramedic

AMESEMT

Well with that attitude why would African Americans sue to play on a particular golf course? It's just a hobby, right? To me this is discrimination and I will challenge it when I can. I don't take something from an Agency because it is convenient for them, I think it needs to be fair. To me it is discrimination cut and dry. You may not feel that way although you acknowledge knowing good diabetic medics. Why can't they have every reasonable opportunity available to them?

As far as volunteers....in Northern Virginia over 500,000 people (2000 census) were covered by volunteers during the evening. The paid guys work daytime 12 hour and shifts and night VOLUNTEERS work 6pm to 6am. Without the volunteers people over a half million people would be up a creek. This includes Loudoun County, VA, which was ranked the wealthiest county in the United States this year.

To play devils advocate (no pun intended),

you just proved his point and many others as well. This argument has been stated over and over in these forums. The wealthiest county in the US has a volunteer service....why? Because people give it away for free. Imagine how many people could have decent jobs with government benefits if they quit giving it away for free. The county government is getting a hell of a deal. They dont have to pay wages or any benefit package cause people keep giving it away. Where does that get us, EMS, as a profession?? No where. As long as it is a hobby, we will be treated like hobbyists.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH HELL. :x :)

A semi-constructive thread regarding a common medical problem that affects a huge number of working Americans gone to crap because of the "volunteer vs. career" argument. :x :roll:

Yes I was a volly FF/EMS once upon a time. I used to argue citys, towns, countys can't afford EMS. Well I was wrong. Look at the money wasted on various holidays. Look at money spent for city manager or mayor a new car or truck. List could go on and on. Moneys there but why spend it when can get free help.

OH HELL. :x :)

A semi-constructive thread regarding a common medical problem that affects a huge number of working Americans gone to crap because of the "volunteer vs. career" argument. :x :roll:

Your right sorry lets get back to topic. My bad.

Let's just make a list of different arguments we have here so we can just take turns using them for threads that need to be longer:

- volunteer vs. professional

- training vs. education

- EMT-B vs. more than just FA training

- EMT-A, EMT-B, EMT-C, ..., EMT-Y, EMT-Z vs. just two levels

But anyway I will actually make a comment on the thread and I need to say that (big surprise) I agree with Dust. Why would anyone even consider going to court for a profession that they only even want to use as a hobby? And in response to the golf comparison... this is even less of a hobby because it's not a hobby, it's a profession (or at least it should be).

Just to kinda get back on topic some things to remember. People with certain illnesses and disabilities are protected from discrimination. Those same laws exempt certain jobs. EMS is one that can discriminate so to speak if it can prove because of your illness or disability you cannot be reasonably expected to handle the job. Not everyone should be able to do every job, just not reasonable. Not taking sides about diabetes would say it would need case by case look see.

Just to kinda get back on topic some things to remember. People with certain illnesses and disabilities are protected from discrimination. Those same laws exempt certain jobs. EMS is one that can discriminate so to speak if it can prove because of your illness or disability you cannot be reasonably expected to handle the job. Not everyone should be able to do every job, just not reasonable. Not taking sides about diabetes would say it would need case by case look see.

You are partially correct but a little misguided. A department could disqualify a diabetic after their doctors have evaluated said diabetic. This is reasonable and makes sense but having a blanket ban that excludes all diabetics without an evaluation is discrimination and is not protected. The only people that don't have to follow EEO (don't get me started here :twisted: ) is the military. They have to provide EEO protection to diabetics that are already enlisted/officers but do not have to accept any diabetic applicants. This will change one day - probably with more advanced pump/glucose monitor functions that are about 5 years from FDA approval.

You are partially correct but a little misguided. A department could disqualify a diabetic after their doctors have evaluated said diabetic. This is reasonable and makes sense but having a blanket ban that excludes all diabetics without an evaluation is discrimination and is not protected. The only people that don't have to follow EEO (don't get me started here :twisted: ) is the military. They have to provide EEO protection to diabetics that are already enlisted/officers but do not have to accept any diabetic applicants. This will change one day - probably with more advanced pump/glucose monitor functions that are about 5 years from FDA approval.

Notice I said if they prove could not be expected to do the job. Also said case by case. I never said blanket statements of no.

Part of the larger issue here is whether or not the subject in question can be afforded the *privilege* of being able to drive. And it seems that's what's holding him up. Sure, NREMT and Iowa EMS may decide that he meets the knowledge specific qualifications to be certified. That says nothing of his/her ability to do the job. It also doesn't address whether or not discrimination may exist in determining advancement in the hiring process.

Driving is a privilege that is earned with some qualifications. If the doc says "no" for what s/he considers to be a valid medical concern, well, there's not much you can do beyond that. If the organization requires a specific endorsement on the driver's license, and that endorsement can't be obtained for a medical reason, no discrimination exists. No rights were violated. A privilege may have been impinged upon but nothing more. It's just a tough break.

If no specific endorsement is needed for another *employer*, then why waste time with the one you know you won't be able to hire you?

I'll agree with the notion, too, that if this is a hobby then it would be simply foolishness to continue with legal action.

Driving an ambulance and being certified as an EMT are not inextricably linked. Just because you're one doesn't guarantee the other.

And Ames? You might want to consider some thicker skin. I can tell you, as can probably many others who frequent the site, Dust was being kind. You haven't seen him mean spirited or disrespectful. If you're put off by his message now, you're in for a long and unpleasant stay. Just some friendly advice.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.