Distance Ed Master's Opportunities for Medics

I know that there have been a number of threads on master's opportunities for medics, but this one is a bit different from any that I was able to dig up. What I am specifically looking for is a master's program that I could enter immediately after completing my BSc (no significant EMS work experience) that would be completed mainly through distance education.

One program that I initially read about on here was Philadelphia University's Disaster Medicine and Management program that seems very interesting. I particularly like the set up of the Philadelphia program because it does include a tiny bit of time to do hands on stuff on campus.

I'm open to options of any master's programs but disaster management and public health seem like they are interesting fields. And before someone calls me out on not having my life planned out... No, I am not looking at this from a career directed point of view at this point.

I will also add that one field that interests me as a possible PhD opportunity would be cardiac arrest resuscitation research so if there is a master's program that can be done through distance ed that would contribute in some way to pursing that I would be interested to hear about it.

Thanks for any input.

Philly U's program looks really cool and I actually considered it, but I'm still having to think about it. Is the degree I'm getting worth $27,000? Like I said, it seems like a very interesting program, but I don't know if it will be worth the money versus getting an Master's that is less expensive.

You could become a PA, that's a master's level program in my state.

To become a PA I would first need to have healthcare experience and also as far as I know there are no distance ed PA programs. Thank you for the suggestion though.

I know that there have been a number of threads on master's opportunities for medics, but this one is a bit different from any that I was able to dig up. What I am specifically looking for is a master's program that I could enter immediately after completing my BSc (no significant EMS work experience) that would be completed mainly through distance education.

One program that I initially read about on here was Philadelphia University's Disaster Medicine and Management program that seems very interesting. I particularly like the set up of the Philadelphia program because it does include a tiny bit of time to do hands on stuff on campus.

I'm open to options of any master's programs but disaster management and public health seem like they are interesting fields. And before someone calls me out on not having my life planned out... No, I am not looking at this from a career directed point of view at this point.

I will also add that one field that interests me as a possible PhD opportunity would be cardiac arrest resuscitation research so if there is a master's program that can be done through distance ed that would contribute in some way to pursing that I would be interested to hear about it.

Thanks for any input.

University of Maryland, Baltimore County has a Masters of Science Degree in Emergency Health Services with an education track that can be done through distance education. Check it out.

To become a PA I would first need to have healthcare experience and also as far as I know there are no distance ed PA programs. Thank you for the suggestion though.

You don't need health care experience for a PA program (although it certainly helps). You need undergraduate bio/chem/physics. But either way it's not distance taught. If you really want to go out on a limb and money is no issue - Oceaniamed.org in Samoa and (IUHS.edu) International University of the Health Sciences in St. Kitts allow you to work towards your MD from the convenience of home. You do the didactic portions online and clinicals in a participating hospital. Many people hate this and say "who wants an internet MD?" but if you can swing it ($$$$) and get licensed in your state...who cares what people say (I think you learn so much more hands on and I am not as concerned whether a doctor sat in a classroom with 200 other students listening to a neurochemistry lecture or watched it online)

http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/SchoolMatrix%20Final04.pdf lists some internet provided MPH degrees

You don't need health care experience for a PA program (although it certainly helps). You need undergraduate bio/chem/physics. But either way it's not distance taught. If you really want to go out on a limb and money is no issue - Oceaniamed.org in Samoa and (IUHS.edu) International University of the Health Sciences in St. Kitts allow you to work towards your MD from the convenience of home. You do the didactic portions online and clinicals in a participating hospital. Many people hate this and say "who wants an internet MD?" but if you can swing it ($$$$) and get licensed in your state...who cares what people say (I think you learn so much more hands on and I am not as concerned whether a doctor sat in a classroom with 200 other students listening to a neurochemistry lecture or watched it online)

http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/SchoolMatrix%20Final04.pdf lists some internet provided MPH degrees

Can you get licensed to practice in the USA with these? I agree most basic classes no big deal whether in class room or by video but got many questions???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You must pass all the USMLE exams (which you are eligible to do) and then it is up to the state. But even if your state didn't allow it you could get licensed in another state and work in your state via the federal government. The toughest part about these schools would be getting residencies...you'll be low on the list and might be pushed into proctology in Northern Alaska.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.