EMTs vs. Paramedics

Medic_Kidd

The other day in class, one of our fellow Paramedic student's pager went off for a wreck on the interstate. He had forgotten to turn it off before he got to class. One of our classmates thought he was gonna skip out on class. She piped up and said "What are you gonna do when you get there? You're just an EMT!". The instructor looked at her like she had 3 heads and had a very interesting response to her comment... It went a lil something like this.

"Wait a minute." Then he wrote 4 letters on the board... E, M, T, and P... "There are 4 letters there. Each letter equals 25%. EMT=75%. P=25%. That makes up 100%. You are only as good as your Basic skills. So if you take away the first 3 letters, you are left with P. You've lost 75%. Without E-M-T, you're just P... And Pee should be left in the urinal."

With that, the room was dead silent. It was pretty wild. And at 8 am, that sure woke us up for the day.

So..........Paramedics can't operate without EMT'S ..........................and vise-vera , AND THE PEE THING not very nice. This class has alot of work to do on the subject of teamwork. This is way there are boneheads out there with god syndrome

Sorry. I was just sharing something that happened in class. I in no way meant to offend anyone or make anyone mad, was actually just trying to show that he was making a point that we all have to start out somewhere, that's all.

I'm very sorry and now regret ever posting this topic. So I ask that this be closed and done with. Again, sorry.

The other day in class, one of our fellow Paramedic student's pager went off for a wreck on the interstate. He had forgotten to turn it off before he got to class. One of our classmates thought he was gonna skip out on class. She piped up and said "What are you gonna do when you get there? You're just an EMT!". The instructor looked at her like she had 3 heads and had a very interesting response to her comment... It went a lil something like this.

"Wait a minute." Then he wrote 4 letters on the board... E, M, T, and P... "There are 4 letters there. Each letter equals 25%. EMT=75%. P=25%. That makes up 100%. You are only as good as your Basic skills. So if you take away the first 3 letters, you are left with P. You've lost 75%. Without E-M-T, you're just P... And Pee should be left in the urinal."

With that, the room was dead silent. It was pretty wild. And at 8 am, that sure woke us up for the day.

I think what the teacher was trying to say is that we all have to start some where and before you can be a EMT-P (paramedic), you had to become and EMT-B. Don't take it personally as I don't think this was the intention. Without the basic skill you were taught as an EMT-B you can't even enter Paramedic school. In all reality we are all Emergency Medical Technicians, it just comes down to whether we choose to go beyond basic skills or not.

As for the urinal thing :puke:

As a medic and an instructor, I thought it was very funny and appropriate.

Do Not apologize for posting this...I even wrote it down for future class use.

There are some that need ego checks every now and then.