When to apply?

I finish my EMT-B the first week of June. My question is do I need to wait to get my NR in order to apply for a service? I understand there is usually a month to two month academy and by the time that is over and done with ill be long registered.

That is up to the service in which you are applying too. Some places will hire you on and put you through the orientation if you are waiting to become certified other services make you wait until you have recieved the certification. So find the service(s) you are interested in applying with and contact them. Good luck.

This is one of those questions that would require a lot more information in order to even begin to address it. For starters, knowing at least what state you are in would be helpful.

And really, even in the case of most states, it is a matter of local or agency policy. It is certainly not a universal standard across the U.S. Even if your state allows application before certification, the employer may not.

And it's pretty damn rare to find an actual EMS employer with a two month "academy" that hires new grads, much less one without a cert. Mostly what you will find are just ambulance (taxi) companies who will throw any warm body behind the wheel with not even an orientation shift, much less an "academy."

The bottom line is, like JCicco says, the definitive answer is going to come from your potential employer himself. Call them, because no "yes" or "no" answer you receive here is worth the bandwith it wastes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.