How many can give pain meds for abd pain?

spenac

ERDoc--Your points are well taken but please don't shoot the messenger. Don't forget, I'm in anesthesia and my response to how much opioids can I give is how much do you have! Our chief of surgery feels strongly about this and he is not old school by any means. I think his opinion is a reflection of his lack of respect for our emergency department. Part of this is based on a highly antagonistic relationship between surgery and emergency medicine at our hospital. Perhaps you have a better relationship with your surgeons than we have here. I confess that the relationship between anesthesia and emergency medicine here is not much better. I try to improve this because I know many of the ER docs as a paramedic bringing in patients. They usually chuckle when they see me.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Spock, my comments were in no way directed at you. If there is anything something from anesthesia knows, it's how to make you feel good. That's pretty typical of many surgeons (especially at academic centers). I won't even get into my rant on surgeons and anesthesiologists.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can give MS for abdominal pain or we can give Phenergan for N/V. We are looking at putting Tordol in our kidt for abdominal pain and reserving MS for fractures.

I would be careful using toradol for abd pain. Surgeons get a little itchy about operating on someone who has had NSAIDs. I would say stick with the morphine. Your pts and any knowledgeable surgeon will thank you.

I was always taught that you should not give any narcotics to patients with abdominal pain because it could alter their exam and it could also prevent them from consenting to procedures. I have had ED Docs give me orders for Toradol for renal colic/pain.

I was always taught that you should not give any narcotics to patients with abdominal pain because it could alter their exam and it could also prevent them from consenting to procedures.

I'm not nearly as interested in what you were taught as I am in what you personally think and why.

If all we ever did was quote our protocols around here, this forum would be useless.

I'm not nearly as interested in what you were taught as I am in what you personally think and why.

If all we ever did was quote our protocols around here, this forum would be useless.

What's your point? :shock:

What's your point? :shock:

My point is -- and no offence intended to 1EMT-P, whom I like -- is that I am tired of all the, "Well, my instructor says this..." and "our protocols say that..." we read around here. I want to know what my fellow professionals think, not what their protocols or teachers said. If I cared about any of that crap, I'd just pick up the Brady book everyday instead of coming to EMT City and sharing ideas with my peers.

I can see why Toradol would not be popular for in field abd pain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,except allergy to M/S, but M/S is short acting and your pt will thank you and your stress level will be low. School is school.............this is real life and u as a medic have to think out of the box. You as well have OLMC don't be afraid or ashamed to use it........................CYA.

My point is -- and no offence intended to 1EMT-P, whom I like -- is that I am tired of all the, "Well, my instructor says this..." and "our protocols say that..." we read around here. I want to know what my fellow professionals think, not what their protocols or teachers said. If I cared about any of that crap, I'd just pick up the Brady book everyday instead of coming to EMT City and sharing ideas with my peers.

Dust thanks for comments but as original poster I did ask what protocols said. I do agree we need peoples thoughts on the matter but again I am curious what the protocols are.

This is one area we are behind in, we have lots of freedom to think for ourselves on most items. Our protocols say no pain meds for abd pain of unknown cause. Thankfully most times we are able to work with that, in other words if meets criteria for gallbladder pain, etc so then we can treat pain. The one that is hard to get relief for is the pain to entire abd and patient can't localize it.

I am working with medical director to reword this protocol and the input will help give ideas of how we should change it.

Dust thanks for comments but as original poster I did ask what protocols said. I do agree we need peoples thoughts on the matter but again I am curious what the protocols are.

Yeah, I realised that after the editing time limit. :oops:

Sorry about that. I got this topic confused with the other pain control topic, below.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.