hospital based EMS

Does anyone know how Paramedic salaries compare in a hospital based ems system versus a private company or city service, particularly in the northeast? Also, any pros/cons to working in a hospital based ems system.

I work on a hospital-based MICU in an urban city in NJ and make $22.65/hr plus 1.75/hr shift diff.

There's no such thing in NJ of a non-hosipital-based MICU anyway, so I would think they all pay around what mediccjh said.

Hospital Based;

Pros:

Health insurance and retirement plans may be better with the hospital.

Education money allowance for taking college classes.

Continuing education for licensure requirements and job enrichment.

Opportunities to do skills competencies in the hospital's ED, OR and ICU.

Opportunity to see a variety of patients, procedures and attend rounds during down time.

Opportunity to follow up on the patient easier.

Opportunities to learn from the physicians and other health care professionals.

CONS: Some may think the mandatory skills competencies and continuing education are a waste of time.

Closer supervision and Quality Assurance/Control monitoring may feel invasive to a former street paramedic.

May be asked to assist in other areas of the hospital during down time. (can also be a pro)

Hospital Based;

Pros:

Health insurance and retirement plans may be better with the hospital.

Education money allowance for taking college classes.

Continuing education for licensure requirements and job enrichment.

Opportunities to do skills competencies in the hospital's ED, OR and ICU.

Opportunity to see a variety of patients, procedures and attend rounds during down time.

Opportunity to follow up on the patient easier.

Opportunities to learn from the physicians and other health care professionals.

CONS: Some may think the mandatory skills competencies and continuing education are a waste of time.

Closer supervision and Quality Assurance/Control monitoring may feel invasive to a former street paramedic.

May be asked to assist in other areas of the hospital during down time. (can also be a pro)

Well, you obviously never worked hospital based EMS in southwestern Missouri. :) I don't know how other hospital based services are but I can tell you in southwest Missouri I worked for two services, both hospital based, and the above list didn't apply to either service. The service I started out with does have extensive classroom offerings and some good CQI, however the pay, benefits and treatment of employees left a lot to be desired. Starting paramedic salary was around $11/hr there.

I describe the other service I worked for there as "a great place for crappy paramedics to hide." I saw things there that made me cringe and no quality assurance to find or correct any of the deficiencies in care. The salary was worse, the health insurance shameful.

IMHO, they were both no better then the private ambo companies I would occasionally moonlight with for extra cash. On paper, hospital based EMS looks like the best possible EMS in the country. Having worked in it, I'll gladly take the PUM. At least I have health insurance I can afford to use with them.

I don't know about all of that.... I am in SW Missouri, and have worked in Hospital Based EMS. I will agree that in Missouri the pay isn't that great... starting is around 13.00, but the benefits are worth a good deal, and the educational opportunities are very decent (mostly because you have to maintain PALS, ACLS, BTLS, etc.. to work there)..... Every single company has it's pros and cons... I liked hospital based EMS better than PUM because of the opportunities to see your patient all the way through, and the ability to do other things (ie: keep busy).

Just my 2 cents,

Jo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.