Driving Record Question

I had a little driving accident 3 years ago this December. The accident was not my fault but by PA law, if you hit someone its your fault. The guy I hit, went and stoped and I hit him. No major damage done to either car. The cops came to the scene but didn't give me a ticket or anything.Just asked how everyone was and left. I reported it to my insurance company(my rates didn't go up). I was told that the accident will stay on my record for 3 years and will come off in December 2007.

My question is do I report this on a job app if not asked and if asked tell them it will come off in December, or wait to tell them at the job interview and explain to them what happened.

Thanks

sara

Only report it if they ask specifically about accidents in the past 3 years. That's all I would do. No elaboration just that I was involved in one minor car accident in the past 3 years.

There is something to be said for giving too little info rather than too much sometimes.

Only report it if they ask specifically about accidents in the past 3 years. That's all I would do. No elaboration just that I was involved in one minor car accident in the past 3 years.

There is something to be said for giving too little info rather than too much sometimes.

Thanks for the answer. I know I have been reading and people don't give much info on why they are asking the question.

Why not get a copy of your drivers abstract and see if it's even on your driving record? If it isn't on your driving record you have nothing to disclose. I would tell them the truth if they ask of course. I'm a little surprised you don't need an abstract to apply to a service in your area. I'm currently applying with BCAS and one of the things they specifically ask for in the application package is a copy of your drivers abstract.

Claims made on your insurance are different from points on your driving record. If you weren't issued a citation, there won't be anything on your driving record. If you file a claim, then it's possible (more like probable) your rates will be increased. Most employers want a copy of your driving record, criminal history, drug screen, etc. Never heard anyone ask about insurance claims. Don't offer up any information you're not asked to.

Shayne

Thanks for the advice. I just checked mine and it's not on my driving record. Strange how when I tired to get my own car insurance and State Farm said it was on my record and they would not even condiser me for car insurance. I don't have a criminal record and don't do drugs so.

sara

Thanks for the advice. I just checked mine and it's not on my driving record. Strange how when I tired to get my own car insurance and State Farm said it was on my record and they would not even condiser me for car insurance. I don't have a criminal record and don't do drugs so.

sara

Insurance companys have something kinda like a credit file where they have info on any claims you've filed and your rating plays part in if will insure and the costs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.