Question about scope of practice for more experienced people

hrising

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what you said, though. You said,

I am the only one that is allowed to do so due to my training as an EMT.

Further, AZCEP is correct in that your status as an EMT doesn't really put you in any position to assess anyone at a stroke center. Your status as an EMT doesn't even put you in a position to assess in the field as the training is woefully inadequate.

So what you're saying is that you assist the RN and the MD in completing the neuro assessment at the stroke center for which you work. Right?

-be safe

I am allowed in the ER to go a quick neuro exam on pts at the triage desk to determine if they need to be rushed back right away.. or can wait for the nurse.

Please make clear statements that do not accidentally mislead. We will call you out. We encourage people to be here and learn from each other. We even allow you to have a different opinion as long as you back it up.

That's not what you said, though. You said,

Further, AZCEP is correct in that your status as an EMT doesn't really put you in any position to assess anyone at a stroke center. Your status as an EMT doesn't even put you in a position to assess in the field as the training is woefully inadequate.

So what you're saying is that you assist the RN and the MD in completing the neuro assessment at the stroke center for which you work. Right?

-be safe

1. Well put Mike

2. RayEMT, please explain to us the steps of the assessment you perform in this "stroke center". I dont believe you, but as the kumbyyah nice guy i am, your getting the benefit of the doubt to shock me.

Im hard to shock....go ahead

:waits patiently:

The only things I do at the triage desk is I have them grip my fingers, arm drift, raising eye brows, smiling, ask if they have expereinced any headaches lately. That is all I do.. Its kinda like a rapid assessment.. if they fail anything, I immediately let the triage Nurse know.

The only things I do at the triage desk is I have them grip my fingers, arm drift, raising eye brows, smiling, ask if they have expereinced any headaches lately. That is all I do.

Which makes it a little amazing that -- if they are going to let ANY techs do it -- they only allow the EMT to do it. Anybody could do that.

if they fail anything, I immediately let the triage Nurse know.

Does not the triage nurse also do this? Why is everybody getting screened twice? Are they delayed from seeing the triage nurse just to see you first? If they pass your test, do they go back to the waiting room, or do they also see the nurse immediately? When you say you are "allowed" to do this, do you mean it is actually an assigned part of your job? Or do you mean it is just something that you do because nobody stops you?

Show me an ER that uses EMT-Bs for triage, and I'll show you an ER that has too many EMT-Bs. Show me a stroke centre that uses EMT-Bs for this, and I'll show you a stroke centre that sucks.

No EMT or medic should be working in any facility as anything but a tech. Wipe ass, start lines, vitals, etc. If they are using them, its for a financial reason only. They don't want to hire, or cant afford to hire appropriately trained or educated individuals.

As far as neuro exams in the field. Why not do them? We do them all the time, and then report findings to the hospital or intercepting medics.

Everyone thinks because you have received emt or medic training it allows you the ability to just branch off into other medical areas without any other training or education.

If you want to be a nurse go to nursing school.

If you want to be a nurses helper go to nurses helper school.

If you want to practice medicine go to medical school.

Why don't we concentrate on our responsibilities as pre-hospital providers, before we start branching off into areas we don't belong in. We were trained for specific duties, we have a difficult enough time handling those responsibilities never mind ones we haven't been schooled in.

Actually guys, I know the exact facility that Ray works at and I would say it is one of the most progressive medical systems in the country. I actually am working on their computer systems down there.

It's a little ole hospital system very well known in Rochester Minnesota but also in Jacksonville.

Cut Ray a little slack, I am sure that their training him as the ER Tech was pretty in depth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.