Transport Rigs...Where do they stack up?

vcfd35s

Sorry, I should have provided some context. It's just that none of the companies I've ever seen put an EMT on the streets after anything more than 2-3 days of third riding.

Agreed. And, of course, "good" supervisors are a rare breed in EMS, so yeah... this happens a lot.

Plus, when in the back with a pt it would only be me and not a medic that doesnt allow me to fully practice my abilities as an EMT.

I'm not quite sure what you are thinking here, or from what perspective you get this idea. I suppose there is something peculiar about your local system that might make this a valid concern, but it's nothing I have ever seen. In fact, quite the opposite is usually the case. Usually the medic craps on you and lets [makes] you do everything except the sexy ALS interventions he lives for. What specific "abilities" are you thinking you aren't going to get to practise on an ALS EMS truck?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what he is trying to say is that he runs alone in the back so there is no one to challenge him. He can do wahtever he wants and no one is going to tell him otherwise. I also usually run alone but its nice to have another set of hands and eyes in the back. I especially like preceptoring students. It keeps me on my toes because the info is still fresh in their minds and I have to think for a minute when they start asking questions.

I had a new volunteer with me yesterday and had a great time. She is a flight medic with the Army and a National Registered Basic. I have flown with her and now she has ridden with me in the back of a rig. She was amazed at the differences and the obsticles that we have to over come in the back. First was starting an IV and the other "odors" :)

I hope that everyone that was dumped on the street takes the opportunities to continue learning and never lose the compassion for thier profession, paid or volunteer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.