Damaged property and what you did to fix the situation?

Thank You Ruff

For those of you who are lazy and cannot read between the lines:

10-6=busy

For those who are lazy? Kind of an arrogent remark there considering that 10-6 for the FD in one city I work in means they're looking for a telephone call. So for my inability to "read between the lines" due to my being "lazy," that would mean that you want the FD to call someone. And in the other service I work for, 10-6 means that they're back in service which would mean that they could certainly come to help you out.

So your thoughts on being lazy and not able to read between the lines are 100% inappropriate and totally uncalled for. I was trying to offer something to think about for future posts to avoid confusion. It was anything but being lazy and having the inability to read between the lines. Maybe my illustration of the different meaning for the codes in two cities for the areas I work in will help to provide some explanation for why posting with codes is ineffective often times.

Shane

NREMT-P

HEEEEY!

Can't we all just get along?

Sorry...had to be said.

This is off topic...or is it...since the topic has strayed towards this, but personally, why can't the federal gov't issue universal Ten-Codes? Awhile back, there was that issue about doing away with them. I don't know about any of you, but I don't want every Tom/Dick/Harry showing up on the scene of my MCI 'cuz Uncle Joe-Bob heard them thar' dispatcha'z talkin 'bout a shootin' at tha Moose Lodge o'er yonder.

Just a thought.

I will not use 10 codes for future referance.

I can make all the excuses up in the world to make it sound right, but you know its useless.

With that said I was having a very bad shift, it caught me off guard and I took it offensively. My apologies.

I will not use 10 codes for future referance.

I can make all the excuses up in the world to make it sound right, but you know its useless.

With that said I was having a very bad shift, it caught me off guard and I took it offensively. My apologies.

Fair enough. Apology accepted.

Shane

NREMT-P

Ten codes can be useful in high volume radio traffic areas, such as a metro area. They're really not that useful to keep things hush hush because pretty much anyone who has the foresight to own a scanner will have the foresight to learn ten codes.

Sometimes privacy issues can be eliminated by using common sense. How much does the dispatcher really need to know? Do you need to say you have a 40 y/o male DOA hanging from the ceiling fan dressed in a little school boy's outfit holding an all day sucker? Nah, you probably could get away with requesting appropriate resources. Remember, the dispatcher is not your friend, the radio is not your cellphone, and the world is listening. I not only don't say anything over the radio I don't want my aged grandmother having to hear, I don't say anything I wouldn't be comfortable defending in a court of law.

Well put! The radio is *not* the cell phone... I kind of look at it like I'm hollering at the other person where everyone can hear, except the radio's my go-between... so if I wouldn't yell it in front of kids (usually cub scouts) I won't directly say it on the radio.

You can dodge around things though if you really need to talk to someone. :D Only if you've got the time and you're sure they're going to understand what you're saying. I did it with my coworkers at the summer camp a couple of times. Came in handy.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

• 2 weeks later...
This is off topic...or is it...since the topic has strayed towards this, but personally, why can't the federal gov't issue universal Ten-Codes?

Several good reasons. First and formost among them is that the federal government itself has policy forbidding the use of ten-codes. One of the very few times in the last few years that the federal government has actually made a policy that was intelligent.

Second, the federal government can't even agree on an official spoken language for the country. Do you really think they could come together to legislate ten-codes?

Third, if the ten-codes were "universal," then wouldn't that pretty well defeat about ninety percent of the purpose of ten-codes?

Fourth, what is the point of them anyhow? Since I know of no EMS agencies still communicating in Morse Code, they serve zero purpose except to make you sound like a wanker.

Fifth, of all the people who you might want to rely on to tell you how to talk on the radio, would you really choose the federal government, which is run by a bunch of MBA bureaucrats who have never set foot in an ambulance or used a two-way radio other than their cellfone?

Sixth, you could probably make a Constitutional law case that would prohibit the federal government from doing so, even if they didn't already have policy prohibiting them from doing so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.