Richmond Again

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let you all know, AMR in Richmond, VA is starting paramedics at 12.03 an hour.... How do you all feel about that? How do you live on that?

Insufficient info.

How many hours do you work in a week?

What is the cost of living in Richmond, VA like?

What are the benefits?

Any way you cut it, that sounds pretty low to me. But is this EMS or just an ambulance service?

VA's probably just north enough that $12/hour is not generally a great idea. Bus it is southerly enough that with the cost of living, a single kid with no dependants might be able to pull it off.

Either way, it's a damn sight more than medics make in some areas, even today.

Good info, Storm.

Here's one way to look at this, folks.

When you are in school and you make 100 on one test, then skip the next test, what does your class average come out to? Fifty, right? Kinda sucks for somebody who is capable of making hundred's, doesn't it?

Similarly, when you look at the average pay for medics in Virginia, you have to factor in all those vollies who are giving it away for nothing. Consequently, $12 bucks an hour is what the math tells us they are worth. Kinda sucks for somebody who spent two years in college, doesn't it?

Yep, but that's the math for you. And if you ever gave your services away for free, you have only yourself to blame for the low wages in EMS today.

[amr will let him have as much ot as he wants, so 40+ but lets assume 40 for a 1 bedroom fully furnished in richmond im averaging its 1200, ( i did a quick search) the benefits you have to pay a rediculous amunt for when it comes to medical/dental/vision id estimate about 60$'s a week for a single peron, probably 10 days of PTO etc..

you are looking at ...

40 hours * 12 =480 (lets assume he works a few OT hours to cover taxes)

4 weeks a month 1920

-1200 for rent, 720

4 weeks a month - 60 per week for health -240, 480

50$'s a week for phone/electric -200, 280

50$'s a week for food -200, 80$'s

grand total for 1 months work 80$'s

give or take, you can probably get cheaper rent, probably work more hours, probably can get shittier benefits, this doesnt include optional expenses such as cell phone, cable, internet, car, car insurance etc...

Heah Storm,,, you forgot the .03 per hour,,,, SOOOOO..... I get 481.2 per week

1924.8 per month

So they would have a whole $84.80 left for the month not $80.00.... LOL

No but I agree, that is VERY low for Richmond,,,,, But keep in mind they only pay what the market will bear. If NO ONE goes to work for them, they'll have to raise the salary... (yeah like that will happen)

I wouldn't work for them for $12.00 per hour,,, I can say that most private ambulance companies in MD are paying in the area of $20.00 per hour.

Heah Storm,,, you forgot the .03 per hour,,,, SOOOOO..... I get 481.2 per week

1924.8 per month

So they would have a whole $84.80 left for the month not $80.00.... LOL

No but I agree, that is VERY low for Richmond,,,,, But keep in mind they only pay what the market will bear. If NO ONE goes to work for them, they'll have to raise the salary... (yeah like that will happen)

I wouldn't work for them for $12.00 per hour,,, I can say that most private ambulance companies in MD are paying in the area of $20.00 per hour.

haha that gave me a good laugh lol .. :)

Dust your medic is showing again.

Similarly, when you look at the average pay for medics in Virginia, you have to factor in all those vollies who are giving it away for nothing. Consequently, $12 bucks an hour is what the math tells us they are worth. Kinda sucks for somebody who spent two years in college, doesn't it?

The Vollies had nothing to do with it.

The contract was awarded to AMR and Richmond Ambulance Authority as the lowest bidder.

They are the reason the pay is so low, any medic worth the 2 year degree can go 10 miles out in either direction and pull in 40K a year without OT.

They can go 100 miles to the north and pull down 80K a year and only work 8 days a month.

The difference with RAA is no fire duty, no engine work, no passing FF school.

Paid providers in Henrico, Hanover, Richmond City, Chesterfeild and just about any other county around the Richmond Metro will pull a year or so on the Engine at some point.

The big draw for RAA is experiance, you will see more in the City of Richmond in a month than most providers will see in a year with a Gov't. agency anywhere in the state.

By comparison, paid transport and a few contract EMS companies pay only 10 bucks an hour or less, in close by couinties to Richmond, again they are EMS only and nursing home cot jockies.

Volunteers giving it away has nothing to do with it, it's the low bid,low pay mental state of the contract companies.

The state of Virginia is even seeing this mental state take hold in the area of Medevac air services, hospital based air services are feeling the heat from the big corporate air services, the big air services are placing helios all over the state and telling dispatch centers we can be there quicker and still take the pt. to the regional trauma centers.

The big boys are bringing "birds" that can fly 2 pts. and are even offering fly along programs to providers, doing all sorts of PR work and offering weekend long seminars.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.