Clinical's....

Elaborate - what kind of medication?

Are you doing EMT clinicals or medic clinicals?

If you are doing medic clinicals, I'm not sure what meds are out of your scope of practice except for the drugs given by Anesthitists.(sic).

If you are an EMT clinical then no freakin way.

let me elaborate - if you are unfamiliar with the medication then you should not be pushing it until you know what it does and what the side effects and cautionary items are. You just tell the nurse or physician that you are uncomfortable pushing that med and tell them why. then ask them to educate you on what the medication does and then as soon as you know what it does and what it can do to the patient then I say, go ahead and do it. But only if you are comfortable with doing it.

I am doing EMT-I clinicals so there are LOTS of meds out of my scope of practice. It hasn't happened to me personally yet, but I just wanted some advice before it did happen. My instructor advised us to push "whatever" we could and if it's not in our scope of practice to record it only as a med push not the name of the med. I guess I just wanted reassurance that my thoughts are correct in that I should not be pushing meds that I do not know the outcome of even if it comes from a nurse or Dr.

If you are uncomfortable administering a medication, let your preceptor know beforehand.

While it is admirable that you've decided to ask the question, keep in mind that the few medications that intermediates may be allowed to use, probably won't be seen much in your rotations. The clinical setting is set to allow you to go through the steps leading up to giving the medication. The "6 R's" so to speak. Actually giving the drug is of little consequence, once you have the dosing, route, patient, time parts down.

Now's the time to learn about medications that you've not been exposed to.

Hey Chick,

I'm not sure if it helps, but we can push the drugs withing our scope of practice, plus we have a list of...maybe...100 other drugs we can push under direct supervision. If one of the drugs outside out scope is pushed then we have to make a drug card, as well as a written explanation as to the physiological effects of the drug on this condition, and turn it in with our PCR.

It's my understanding that this rule is the same for medics or intermediates (same expanded list) at our school.

If we're caught pushing drugs not on the list, or administering those without supervision...We're history...No second chances for those wanting to play doctor...They were pretty clear on this...

It's been my experience that the kindest nurses are the ones most likely to ask you to do something you shouldn't...Just in the spirit of wanting you to be involved in, and learn, as much as possible...Pretty cool...but I find this is where I'm the most careful.

Good luck!

Dwayne