EMS Week 2007 May 20 - 26

I was wondering what other departments were doing for the week? I wanted to do something last year but our director was far too busy to be able to find the time (new department with lots of woes!). I mentioned something last week and he said "Git 'er done". What I've done is made arrangements to go to area elementary schools and do a presentation that should last about 45 minutes that covers what we do, evaluating a patient with Lifepak 12 (BP, Pulse ox), splint a kid, bandage another one and maybe do a full cspine on another, then demo the stretcher & stair chair and to finish up let them do a "Walk-by" of the unit. My director said we have lots of handout stuff plus including a 911 Dispatcher who has a call simulator for calling 911.

It's funny, last week we had a kid (4 YO M), with a fractured arm. Well the kid was screaming bloody murder but not so much because of the pain but he was afraid we were Policemen!! I guess we really do need to get out in the community more!

• 2 weeks later...

I know here in New York, each year, we try to go out and do stuff either with the school, or somewhere in the community. Last year, we did an information booth at our government center. We are trying to go into the school this year just like you, and maybe even do a blood pressure screening somewhere. I do agree though, we need to get ourselves and what we do out to the people in our communities so that they understand we are just trying to help them.

Our company doesn't do jack, either for us or anbody else.

Some of the hospitals put out little goodies and thank you posters, one of them gives away a different freebie every day along with a huge banner outside the ambulance bay. Others put out a plate of cookies on Monday and that's it. All depends what days you work and where you transport to that week.

As signed into law by then President Gerald R. Ford, EMS Week is the third week in May.

I feel it is kind of unfair, that, in most locales, it is the EMS agencies promoting EMS Week, instead of civilian agencies taking a week to honor those of us in EMS during this week.

FDNY has, in the past, given us a pin, or a small insulated lunch bag. When they publicize it, they do so as "FDNY EMS Week", like it was not a part of a National week.

While I am unavailable to attend, there will be a service honoring all EMS personnel who died in the line of duty, in Roanoke, Virginia.

Someone please help me/us by naming the museum where this is going to be, as, regrettably, I have forgotten?

• 2 weeks later...

Our local BLS service visits the area elementary schools (fifth grade and under). We allow the children to tour our rig and show them some of things we would use on them to decrease their fears. We also hand out some sort of treat and the older children (fourth and fifth) get a special book that gives them info on first aid, cpr, and how and when to call 911. We also visit the senior citizens and this year we are helping them to fill out a pocket medical hx form which will make our jobs easier as health care professionals. Other years we have done vital checks on them. As far as being recognized, I think we are one of the most unrecognized professions in the nation. I think a little 6 year old at the local elementary school put it best when she saw us pull up to a house. She looked at her teacher and said, "Uh Oh, there's the meat wagon, looks like some one is going to the hospital." This is a direct correlation of how the public views EMS. Kind of sad isn't it.

From National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT):

NAEMT will again be a sponsor of the EMS Memorial Bike Ride. The 2007 ride will take place from May 20 to May 26 and will feature two groups of riders who will converge on Roanoke, Virginia, in time for the National EMS Memorial Service on May 26.

The first group, from Kentucky and surrounding states, will participate in the First Kentucky EMS Memorial Bike Ride. This group will ride 400 miles through the Appalachian Mountains from Somerset, Kentucky, to

Roanoke, Virginia, following this route:

Sunday, May 20: Somerset, Kentucky, to Barbourville, Kentucky

Monday, May 21: Barbourville, Kentucky, to Big Stone Gap, Virginia

Tuesday, May 22- Thursday, May 24: This part of the ride will travel through Castlewood, Virginia; Bluefield, West Virginia; Pearisburg, Virginia; Christiansburg, Virginia; and Blacksburg, Virginia.

Friday, May 25: Riders plan to meet up with the group traveling from New York City on the outskirts of Roanoke and proceed to the Hotel Roanoke together. Dinner will be as a group at a place to be named later.

Saturday, May 26: Riders will participate in the National EMS Memorial Service.

If you would like to ride with the group from Kentucky, visit www.kyemsride.com for more details. Registration is $100 until March 31, when it increases to $125. Registration fees cover insurance coverage,

bicycling jerseys, administrative costs and various support items that serve the entire group.

The second group of riders will follow a 600-mile route through the northeastern part of the United States.

The 2007 ride route is as follows:

Sunday, May 20: Queens, New York, to Hillsborough, New Jersey

Monday, May 21: Hillsborough, New Jersey, to Collingdale, Pennsylvania

Tuesday, May 22: Collingdale, Pennsylvania, to Emmitsburg, Maryland

Wednesday, May 23: Emmitsburg, Maryland, to Woodstock, Virginia

Thursday, May 24: Woodstock, Virginia, to Staunton, Virginia

Friday, May 25: Staunton, Virginia, to Roanoke, Virginia

Saturday, May 26: Participate in National EMS Memorial Service.

Riders who wish to ride with the New York group can register at www.emsbikeride.org. Registration is $200 and covers the cost of insurance, a golf shirt, bicycling jersey, support items and administrative costs.

The EMS Memorial Bike Ride was created by Boston EMT Jamie Orsino in 2001.

The ride raises awareness of the National EMS Memorial and the National EMS Memorial Service, which honors those members of the EMS community who have lost their lives in the line of duty.

Future plans call for the addition of other states as starting points for the ride.

NAEMT is currently developing a National EMS Bike Ride Initiative. Contact Jennifer Frenette at

director.jf@naemt.org if you would like to be involved in this project.

Also from the NAEMT:

With spring in full bloom and summer just around the corner, it's time once again for EMS Week. This year, EMS Week will be observed from May 20 to 26. The theme for EMS Week 2007 is “Extraordinary People, Extraordinary Service.” “This slogan

celebrates the exceptional service being provided to countless patients every day, often under incredibly challenging circumstances,” said Brian Keaton, MD, FACEP, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). “It illustrates the fact that EMS providers are dedicated to saving lives and limiting suffering, even if that requires personal sacrifice and risk. They are selfless professionals who put their own lives on hold, day after day, to respond to the emergency needs of others.”

ACEP has sponsored EMS Week for the past 34 years.

NAEMT worked in partnership this year with the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) to produce the EMS Week Kit, which offers lots of suggestions and advice on unique ways in which you can celebrate EMS Week in your community. The

kit includes:

• Articles about what other EMS organizations are doing to celebrate EMS Week;

• Suggestions and examples for EMS Week activities and events;

• EMS Week Planner's Checklist

• EMS Celebration Calendar of Events

• Public speaking tips

• Networking tips

• Tips on reaching out to the media and using the Web to promote EMS

• EMS Week Product Catalog

All of the materials listed above are available online, along with:

• Fact Sheets to educate the publicabout EMS

• EMS Week logos

• Sample EMS Week proclamation

• Sample EMSC Day proclamation

• Downloadable videos and public service announcements about EMS

• Archived EMS Week Planning Guides

• A history of EMS in the federal government

• A sample proclamation that you can ask your local government to use to officially designate May 20-26 as EMS Week in your community; and

• Other planning tools to help make your EMS Week celebration a success

Kits have been distributed to state EMS offices and can be obtained by contacting those offices. NAEMT members with Internet access may download copies of the EMS Week kit directly at www.acep.org/emsweek.

Two national events, EMS for Children (EMSC) Day and the National EMS Memorial Service, play major roles in the observance of EMS Week.

EMSC Day, May 23: This year, EMS providers in Illinois, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Florida will be celebrating the day with special awards presentations and legislative proclamations. EMSC Day annually draws attention to the specialized need for pediatric emergency care to ensure that every child in the nation receives the highest quality emergency care possible.

To have the day recognized in your town or county, download a sample EMSC Day proclamation from

www.acep.org/webportal/Advocacy/ems/week/EMSWeekEMSCDayProclamation.htm.

For more information, visit www.ems-c.org. The National EMS Memorial Service, May 26: One national observance that takes place during EMS Week is the National EMS Memorial Service. This annual service honors EMS providers who have died in the line of duty. To date, 334 providers from 44 states and the District of Columbia have been recognized at this annual event, which will take place at 7 pm May 26, 2007, in Roanoke, Virginia. The 2007 honorees will be announced in April.

Providers around the country can participate in the Memorial Service by observing the National Moment of Silence, which is set for 8 pm Eastern time on May 26. The National Moment of Silence offers EMS providers and agencies around the nation the opportunity to join with those in attendance at the National EMS Memorial Service in honoring and remembering those EMS

providers who have made the ultimate sacrifice and given their lives in the line of duty.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.