why piggyback?

zzyzx

One reason I've always heard is that piggybacking makes it easier to stop the infusion. Plus it also allows a more precise flow of the medication.

imagine having a patient with an IV of dopamine running. they code on you. Thats your only iv you have. You do not have another IV bag hung and ready but not infusing in the iv. So they code, you are now not able to just turn off the infusion, you have to unplug the iv tubing from the iv catheter and then start the new iv. You waste precious time doing this when you could have just turned off the piggyback and opened the iv bag.

I know there are others but I'm out the door in a few minutes to catch a plane. I hope it doesn't get away. ha ha

Okay.. hopefully you are in school. Medications should not be "direct" line for very many reasons.

First, the medication is added as a supplemental and infused into a patent IV. Once the medication is finished the medication is removed thus allowing the IV (NSS, D5W, 0.45%NaCL, etc) to continue. Second, one would NEVER want to mainline in case of reaction(s) such as allergy, medication interactions (reaction between two medications), and one wants to have a patent IV line to administer treatments to resuscitate or correct those problems. If you have the medication main lined, then you would have to discontinue from the hub and re-establish another fluid.

Those that main-line are just asking for troubles.

R/r 911

It all depends on the scenario. I have directly infused dopamine, but only after I've already established another point of access elsewhere on the patient running normal saline. This way the med's aren't piggybacked, and there's two points of IV access. In most cases, you'll need to hang some clear fluids if you're going to be giving dopamine or lido (or just about any other medication infusion that I can think of off the top of my head), so it's easier to piggy back the additional med into that one point of access, or to establish a secondary point. Piggy backing is great when you have a patient that has very poor access but you were able to get a line on. Rather than waste time making a pin cushion out of the patient, just piggy back the infusion. It's an assessment of time and what you need to get done that might help you make the decision.

Shane

NREMT-P

No, I'm not still in school. I use luer locks connected to the IV catheter. I then connect the IV line or med bag to that luer lock. So, if I were to connect the med bag to the luer lock, I could easily disconnect it (and attach the IV line) if there was any problem. It just seems like this would be faster than having to set up a piggyback.

Most Dopamine and medication drips are not fast enough to keep the vein open as well. That is another reason for "piggyback" IV. Lock's are fine as long as you have another site for fluids, and remember to flush after each one.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.