AMR Employee's Please Read

I live in Louisville Kentucky. The big rumor here is that AMR is wanting to bid into the 911 coverage here. Does anyone know of any truth to this? What is the service like to work for? Under the current 3rd service, municipality, employee's are in the state retirement system and they are union. Would AMR even be interested in a service like this??

AMR just left MI because they couldn't make any money here but, my dad was an employee. Usually they are union, but I doubt they will go onto the state retirement system. My dad had 401k. Just remember they are a for profit pvt. service and any decisions they make will be based on that. I guarantee they are only bidding on the 911 contract for the exposure to the transfer side of things or something close to that. Usually you can't make money on an urban 911 contract.

AMR just recently bought out the company I had been working for and I've been employed by them for over 5 months now. So far, they haven't been a bad company to be employed by. They do have union shops across the US so I don't think they'll have a problem with that. But like the other person stated, they have a 401k program set up. They pay $.50 on the dollar for 6%, $.25 on the dollar for 3% of the wages going into it. I do know that they have pulled out of a couple areas due to no money being able to be made, but thats always a risk. AMR is the largest privately owned ambulance service in the US and they do services for the money which has to be understood. They run a business and are not subsidized by the local townships or state ems programs. So far, they have been the best company I have worked for in 15 years. They are sticklers when it comes to pt care and protocols. I'd see how long the contract is for before making a decision. They just don't up and shut down a base, so they'll be there as long as the contract states. Each section has their own division HQ (East coast, Cent. Etc) so go onto their website and check them out. www.amr.net

So far, they have been the best company I have worked for in 15 years.

I've worked for AMR for five years. They suck.

2 posts, 2 hours apart, 2 differant opinions. I will tell you their stock (symbol EMS) had been doing great this year, from about 14 when I got in up to a high around 26

• 2 weeks later...

I am unfortunately a current employe of AMR. There are both pros and cons for working for them. Ultimately they are about profit and only profit. I work in a union shop and they do provide ok health care plans, just don't get injured. I was cleared by my doc to return to work and they can keep you from working for up to 14 days with out pay. AMR is in the 911 field all around the country here we have four different operations three are third party services that have contracts with different fire departments, and one that is primary ALS for a county I belive over in the east of the state there are several areas were they are primary als as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.