Why not just send an ambulance?

OK I think I understand the- If the call is a BLS call then they will cancel the engine- comment. If it is a BLS call and the 2 in the QRV can handle it. If it is a true ALS call you will need more hands. I am in the middle of learning the new ACLS after operating as an EMT-S for 10 years (AKA EMT-I) Just the pulseless VF/VT algorithm seems almost impossible to do with just 1 medic and 1 basic, even just buying time for the transporting rig.

But seriously folks, can this really be about keeping costs down? I ain't no mathmagician, but I am pretty sure that simply providing enough ambos and paramedics to meet the demand for medical services is, in the long run, much cheaper than what it costs the FD to run this dual role nonsense.

It's not about saving money. It's about milking money and glory for the fire department because really, they aren't worth what they are getting as it is, much less if all they did was supression.

I think you may have missed something Dust. This particular fire department does not provide ambulance transport. They are primarily ALS first response, with an ALS ambulance sent from another provider. They may have a secondary transport role, but I'd have to check on that.

This idea is to eliminate the utilization of a full engine company for calls that a two man crew, that won't transport anyway, can manage until the ALS ambulance arrives.

I think you may have missed something Dust. This particular fire department does not provide ambulance transport. They are primarily ALS first response, with an ALS ambulance sent from another provider. They may have a secondary transport role, but I'd have to check on that.

I did understand that. That is what I was commenting upon. They seem intent upon fragmenting the system into separate entities for treatment and transport, instead of having one organisation handle it all. There is absolutely no reason or justification for that sort of idiocy from any logical, service oriented standpoint. It contributes nothing positive to the delivery of EMS to the people. The only thing it contributes positively to is the image and budget of the fire service, which is really what this is all about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.