EMT Mentoring Program?

becksdad

So shortly before I had a medical problem that took me off the road back in October, I was kicking this idea around in my head about a "mentoring" or field training program for new EMT's. The Dept. I worked for has an FTO program in place with the philosophy that FTO's aren't there to teach anyone how to be a Paramedic or an EMT, but to teach how to work within this particular system (i.e., specific SOP's, protocols, CAD programs, etc.). This may be OK for people with experience and demonstrated competency, but I think it short-changes people new to the field in several ways.

While it is desirable to be competent at operating within specific guidelines and using specific equipment and programs, so many people are put on the road without a clue as to operating in the real world of running calls, dealing with scene safety, being patient advocates, supporting ALS partners in an effective manner, etc. In other words, being a professional, effective member of the team, with some basis set in place for success. I think you can teach what to do and what not to do, attitudes to adopt, pitfalls to avoid. I think it is possible to better prepare new people for being out on the road, alone with a Paramedic partner. And I think Paramedics would appreciate having a new partner who they could maybe count on more so than they can expect now from a new EMT.

While I have not really developed a proposal fully, I do have some questions and doubts about such an idea. Is this even a realistic proposal? Given that Administrations are so budget conscious, what company or agency would be willing to make such an investment? Further, is such an idea even a good thing for EMS as a profession? Would this encourage a status quo mentality of maintaining minimal BLS/ALS response teams, or could it encourage enthusiasm and a desire to learn more from individuals coming out of EMT programs and ultimately lead to increasing professionalism and education of providers? And in the best of all possible worlds, could this increasing desire for knowledge and professionalism come from within individuals, leading to a higher level of commitment of providers rather than mandating requirements? I don't know. So I am asking you for your thoughts on this idea.

The more I think about it, the more questions enter my mind. So do you think that this could be a realistic thing? Or is it a Utopian idea that will never work and ultimately be bad for the profession? Please let me know your thoughts. Whether you may think something like this could be good or bad, why? Thanks in advance to anyone who might have any input.

I think that your idea has lots of merit and should be discussed with your training officer if for no other reason then to help new hires acclimate to your service regardless of experience. In "Jesters Perfect World" new hires would need various amounts of training, education and coaching/motivation, and an on the ball mentor would be able to adjust on the fly. I do like the idea of a mentor versus FTO, it seems less, I don't know, judgemental somehow and could be extended past a traditional probationary period.

You should run with it, the worst they can do is say no.

bob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.