first real call

thecroc

i had my real first call tonight around 11:00 cst mva roll over just the driver and he only a had minor cut on his head transport by ambo ( i am volley with a non

transport rescue squad) i was the first emt /first responder on scene we did not had to have a collar or back boarding so what do you all think i know that i still have a lot to learn and hopefully not the hard way

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing, did you not hold C-spine until someone was there with the proper equipment? And you ask what do we think of what you did, bit we don't know WHAT you did, we need more information.......I know I do, I may be dense though, this has been a BAAAAAAADDD week

Jenn

I am having trouble understanding this post. Did not anyone manually control C Spine until unit arrived with collars and backboard?

You need to provide more info in a logical and clearly written post for anyone to critique your call.

I remember my first few MVAs. First was an older-middle-aged lady who was "tunked" in a parking lot by an SUV that was backing out of a parking spot. I rode third on that call, and I almost think it doesn't count.

For my next MVA, I was the EMT in charge. My partner was a first-responder (far more experienced than I, but lower certification). I was scared to death riding out to that call. And then when we get there, wow! The book did not prepare me for what I saw. All the patients were up and walking about, and chatting on their cell phones. You'd have thought it was a Sunday picnic in the park :-). I was pretty nervous, and probably had that deer-in-the-headlights look when I first hopped out of the rig when we got on scene. That was the call that really drove home to me the importance of running the call, and not letting the call run you. When you're in charge, it's important to actually take charge. That was a lesson-learned, and I've gotten my act together since. I look back on that call as a bellweather call just because of how much it helped me grow as an EMT.

Okey-Dokey! This was a MVA rollover (significant MOI) and you didn't use a collar or board and the pt. was transported! I don't know what your protocols are or if you have any, and I understand that you're volunteer on a non-transport, so am I, but if I didn't take C-spine precautions, the duty crew would beat me senseless and then use C-spine precautions on me! My thoughts are when in doubt ere in favor of the pt. That means always assume and prepare for the worst while hoping for the best!

I sent him a PM requesting more info. I even put in the PM how he should fashion the post.

Description and asked him why c-spine was not taken.

Hopefully he will re-post with more details.

ok i am sorry about it first post being a little hard to i was up way to late

1 this was my first call as a volley as as new emt-b the only other calls i had were just ride alongs

2 why no c spine wen i get there the pt was up and walking around no head and back pain we was wearing a seat belt at the time of the mva

the only wound he had was a small cut on his head we were going to have him sign a release but the "local" ambo got there and got him

until the ambo came i was the only emt there when the first state trooper that got there was also a emt

the car was upside down but other than that was in good conditions no extrication was needed

i hope that this clears things up

I'm only three quarters of the way through EMT-B school, so for what it's worth; I believe I would have. . .

Talked him into not "walking around" and remaining still. Don't know if you were alone or not, but if so I would have held his C-spine until more help arrived. With a partner I would have boarded, collared, and laid him down. With the mechanism of injury (roll-over MVA) there's always a chance his C-spine was compromised and possible he didn’t realize it. In any case the consequences of a neck injury outweigh calling the above over-cautious. Especially being new, and I'm not knocking on you, I'm trying to learn, shouldn't we lean toward being very cautious?

NickD :D

EMT-B

Student

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.