A few basic Q's on IV's!!

itxtme

I am just starting IV's and our class has kindly been given a workbook to go through before we start class time on them! For the most part I have been able to find answers in my text book and online. However there are a few bits that have me completely stumped! Anybody with the wisdom, please share!!

1) I know the GTT rating is a measure of drips per milliliter however i do not know how this relates into the GTT rating. Ie 20GTT = what!?

2) Our service uses pediatric giving sets. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to calculate a dosage without the GTT rating for this set. And yet I cant find anywhere the average or "normal" gtt rating of a peds giving set!

3) Are there any fundamental differences of a peds giving set vs an adults giving set, or is it simply size of needle???

As you can see there is a central theme around the peds and this is causing me to struggle with quite a few questions! I know that the answers will be given to us in due course at school however I would love to finish the workbook completly with a decent undserstanding before we go over IV's in class. Many thanks for any help

Cheers

-itxt

I am just starting IV's and our class has kindly been given a workbook to go through before we start class time on them! For the most part I have been able to find answers in my text book and online. However there are a few bits that have me completely stumped! Anybody with the wisdom, please share!!

You've come to the right place, but be careful what you wish for.

1) I know the GTT rating is a measure of drips per milliliter however i do not know how this relates into the GTT rating. Ie 20GTT = what!?

Take the drip rating and divide the number of drops by it to get mL delivered. Divide again by 60 for mL/hour. With 10gtt tubing, your 20gtt would equal 2 mL. With 60gtt, it would equal roughly 1/3rd of an mL.

2) Our service uses pediatric giving sets. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to calculate a dosage without the GTT rating for this set. And yet I cant find anywhere the average or "normal" gtt rating of a peds giving set!

Relax a bit there. The drip factor is listed somewhere on the packaging. You just have to find it. Chances are it is 60 gtt/mL.

3) Are there any fundamental differences of a peds giving set vs an adults giving set, or is it simply size of needle???

A pediatric set and an adult set of the same drip factor are the same. Some will have buretrols, some won't. Just little things that make life easier when dealing with a kid.

As you can see there is a central theme around the peds and this is causing me to struggle with quite a few questions! I know that the answers will be given to us in due course at school however I would love to finish the workbook completly with a decent undserstanding before we go over IV's in class. Many thanks for any help

You're welcome.

It's telling you exactly what you said. A 20gtt set gives you 1mL every 20gtts.

As far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it's a world-wide standard that peds sets are 60gtt/mL

Volume of fluid that can be given through it would be a big difference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.