Need help on choosing type of job

travisxx

hey guys well i just got everything done today and its official that im a certified Basic with my LA county card, and already applied for 3 different private ambulance companies here in LA county. I do have a couple questions though involving just transporting companies and 911/ift. For strictly ift companies they start around 11-14$ while 911/ift start around 8-10$. Now since im new i want some action and ill be running anywhere between 5-13 calls on a day car but the problem is, is that the commute is an hour drive to and from. While ift companies are around 30minutes away which i can deal with. I want experience in EMS and i know ill do pt. assesment on ift transports but it just seems so boring doing that for 24hrs. Any insight will greatly help.

Travis

EMT-B

TITLE EDITED - ADMIN

o/ from OC.

Remember that IFT's also do emergency calls out of extended care facilities (assisted living, SNFs, board and care) as well as RN/RT CCTs. Honestly, EMS at the BLS level is a joke in OC and LA counties. A large majority of the calls will have fire on scene first anyways, so the 911 basics role is to load, package, and transport anyways.

Go with what you want to do 1st, in my opinion. I had the same thing happen as for as drive time being the only downfall. I picked the one I wanted to do the worst and the commute is not that bad, from what I have done of it so far, you will have to factor in the traffic, etc. See what time your shifts will be if you get a set shift schedule and if the traffic is not bad at that time, you will be suprised that it doesn't take you very long to get home. Good luck in your decision, either way you will be getting some practice, it just may be in different areas of patient care.

Jenn

My "A answer" would be none of the above. Keep your day job and go directly to paramedic school, then get the job you really want.

The proper course for you is dependant up on many more factors than simply what you want to do. How old are you? Are you living at home without expenses? Are your parents still footing your bills? Or are you married with a mortgage, two kids, and two car payments? Is that car a monster muddo 4x4 that gets 5MPG in the city, or is it an economical ride? Do you have a job right now that pays better than either of the options you listed? Is this job flexible enough to allow you to attend school? What's more important to you; getting a real EMS job, or getting a BLS "911" job that allows you to say you have a real EMS job? Like JP said, the reality is not near as sexy or exciting as what you think being an EMT in LA County is.

Make a list. A bigger list than distance and wages. Then weigh the pros and cons objectively. Objectively is the key term here. Then, if it comes down to a close race, figure in your desire to do something more exciting as a deciding factor. But if the race isn't even close, don't be an idiot.

Good luck!

Keep your day job and go directly to paramedic school, then get the job you really want.

I don't mean to change the subject or anything, but the area that I'm in doesn't allow you to attend medic school until you have at least 6 mos. field experience or the equivalent of 1000 hours, and then you have to pass a written and oral interview just to be accepted into the course. Now I know that there is a great demand for medics nowadays, but from my perspective it's not as easy as the above line seems to state.

As for your question, I agree with Dust on the rest of it. You should weigh the pros and cons of everything else, and not just the wages or the drive.

Good luck out there and stay safe!

I don't mean to change the subject or anything, but the area that I'm in doesn't allow you to attend medic school until you have at least 6 mos. field experience or the equivalent of 1000 hours...

I'm afraid that there is a very good chance those schools suck, and you wouldn't want to attend them anyhow.

A real quality medic school takes it's admissions just like a medical school, nursing school, respiratory therapy school, PA school, or other true medical professional school. You spend a year or two completing prerequisite courses, then the best prepared applicants -- regardless of so-called "experience" -- get in. If that is not how your prospective school operates, they are a joke and are to be avoided.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.