EMT student with a DUI... quit now?

rocketjaw

My buddy in my class was convicted of a DUI when he was 17 and had his license revoked for a year. Hes thinking about quitting the class and forgetting about a career in EMS because of this. Someone told him that no company would take him when they saw a DUI on his record. From my understanding the ambulance companies are pretty strict about DUI/substance abuse charges... The thing is that he was 17 when he did this (a minor) and now hes 20 (an adult). Does anyone know if he would still be able to get a job or if the charge would still be on his record? He wants to be a paramedic one day, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience in this or knows if he might be alright. I'd hate to see him throw in the towel if the DUI wouldnt get in the way of what hes trying to do. I've known him since high school and hes not a bad guy. I think the DUI was the only trouble hes ever had with the law. THanks guys.

Tell your buddy to move to Texas if they let an ambulance services stay in business while the owner smokes dope in the truck while in service,then he shouldnt have a problem getting his paramedic with a DUI on his record.

I worked with an EMT who served jail time for a DUI accident that resulted in property damage and personal injury. He was not only an alcoholic but a drug abuser as well. His DUI turned his life around and 10 years after the fact he was clean and sober. He became an EMT and was hired full time. He was very open and honest about his past and I believe that is why he was considered for the job.

Your friend should find out if the conviction is still on his criminal record. He also needs to check is driver's license record. I got a speeding ticket when I was 17 and that didn't go away when I turned 18. He may not have a criminal record but he may still have a DUI on his driving record. He's been out of trouble for 3 years. That's a good start but I have a feeling he'll look a lot better to an employer in a few more trouble free years.

The worst thing he could do is lie on an application and get caught. A criminal conviction means you made a mistake. Lying about it makes you a liar.

There are several things to consider here. First, you...I mean "your buddy"...should check to see if the DUI is still on your...I mean "his"...record. It probably is.

Second, you...I mean "your buddy"...should ensure you...I mean "he"...has an otherwise clean driving record.

These two items should give you...I mean "your buddy"...a better idea of what you're...I mean "he's"... up against in terms of potential employment. Having a DUI is not necessarily a insurmountable obstacle. But it can certainly make things difficult. You...I mean "your buddy"... may have to wait a few years longer to demonstrate a long term commitment to staying sober.

Another thing you...I mean "your buddy"...should know is that most places won't let an employee drive if s/he is under the age of 21. This is an insurance issue and has nothing immediately to do with having a DUI on a driving record. Although, again, the DUI may change a few things. They may say to wait a few years. They may suggest limited driving. They may suggest something else entirely.

What you...I mean "your buddy"...definitely needs to do when the time comes is to make sure you...I mean "he"...makes no effort to hide it. When they ask, answer honestly. Don't elaborate more than necessary. But don't downplay it either. Admit it was stupid. Admit that you...I mean "he"...learned your...I mean "his"...lesson and have been sober ever since (but only if you really have been).

It's not a solid turn down. But know that in a market where EMS providers are a dime a dozen chances are pretty damn good you will not be picked over someone with a clean driving record. Persistence in your case may well pay off.

Good luck. And stay sober. You were lucky you only made it out with a DUI. If you manage to get a job and start working in EMS you'll see more alcohol related accidents and injuries/deaths than you care to. But in your case, that might be just the thing to make sure you don't do something so blatantly stupid ever again.

-be safe

I have to agree with the previous poster about telling the truth. It is probably gone from his record since he was 17 at the time UNLESS he was convicted after his 18th birthday.

If I were you, as a friend, I'd have a LONG talk about how bad he may have screwed up, and enforce that this CANNOT and WILL NOT happen again. If he seriously wants to pursue this career, he needs to smarten up if he hasn't already. If he gets a job, and this happens again, not only will he get fired, but most states will permanetly revoke his EMT license/certification.

ParaMike-

I was thinking the same thing when I was reading this......LOL But either way it doesn't matter. I am sure a DUI plays into a decision for a position in this field HOWEVER I do believe that honesty is a factor here. When I had to do my interview and testing for the job I just got, they told the group of people that were there for testing that IF they had ANYTHING that could show up on the criminal history, speak now, or forever not get a job there :) They said if your were honest they can look at the situation and go from there. She said a guy forgot he got arrested for skinny dipping when he was like 15 and it still showed on his record, another had pulled a college prank of mooning his frat brothers, again arrested for indecent exposure, still on the record. She stated that some things can be fixed with honesty and an explanation. I am not sure this is one of them. I hope though it all works out well for you, I mean your friend...Just kidding ya!

Jenn

I don't know about what stays on a record or for how long. What I do know is that I got a DUI when I was 24. I went through classes, counseling and paid the appropriate fines through doing community service.

Years later, I went through my basic class and got my first job on an ambulance. During the interveiw, I was asked if there was anything that would show up on my record. I explained what happened and they appreciated my honesty. I did indeed get the job. People can change and I am living proof of that, in so many ways.

Getting a DUI doesn't make an otherwise good person a piece of crap. In my instance, I did a very stupid thing and thankfully didn't hurt or kill anyone in the process. It was a wake up call for me and helped turn my life around. Honesty is the best policy and I tend to think there are alot of us here who shouldn't have been driving (or doing some other not-too-smart things) at one point or another, but that some of us just got caught at it.

It sounds like your friend is trying to take a positive step in his life. Even though he may be sited for his indiscretions, I hope he still keeps up on his studies and perhaps someone will give him that chance to do something he obviously wants so much. Good luck to him and you:)

Meh... I'm afraid at age 20 he is screwed. Hard enough to get employment under age 21 as it is, much less with a DUI. Chances are, any reputable agency will not employ him before age 25 at the earliest. Their insurance company won't let them. I haven't grown up in the last thirty years, so most people would not have any confidence that he has grown up in the last three. That's just unrealistic.

If he doesn't mind being a minimum wage non-emergency transfer ambulance attendant for a living, then he'll probably find a job. But no, he's not going to get a real EMS job for years to come. In fact, I wouldn't want to work for any agency that would hire him, and he shouldn't either.

If he is really serious about the career, tell him to spend the next four years becoming a degreed paramedic (if they let him in the class). When he finishes, he'll be pushing 25 and have the DUI 7 years behind him. Then he can step right into the career with a lot more education and maturity than most and prove himself. If that doesn't interest him, then he isn't serious about the career anyhow, so screw him. But, if he's really lucky, within the next year he'll discover something much more viable as a career and move on.

It's not insurmountable, but it will be very difficult for him to get a job with a quality employer.

There is a paramedic around here who screwed up, got a DUI. He started working for a service that is supportive of him. He is not able to drive at all, and must write all calls. Insurance company rules.

Another was slightly luckier. After his DUI, he was able to transfer to the helicopter division of the service.

Both nice guys, both quality providers.

They were both already paramedics, with good work history. Listen to Dust. Make as much of your education as you can.

Depending on the offense, your record MAY be sealed when you turn 18, but don't count on it. You can hire an attorney and petition to have your record sealed, then you DON'T have to list it on an app. I checked into this stuff, my 14 year old son got into quite a bit of trouble. IMHO, that is your best alternative.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.