Feds Question New Jersey Medevac system

Web Page Name

Appearently the Feds are looking at the link between NJ State Police who actually fly the helos and UMD that provide the medics and it appears that they bill for their service.

The Feds claim that they are not operating under part 135 which governs "commercial" air medevac services vs. part 912 which governs public use aircraft.

Check out the above link.

You are correct. There are two helo's. One operated by UMD and one by Virtua Health System. Both are piloted and owned by NJSP. The hospitals provide anf fund the flight medic and flight nurse.

Neither helo is worth a piss though because they never fly, unless it's for law enforcement purposes. And if they do fly, it takes them 20 minutes longer than any other bird, even ones further away. Go figure that one out.

You are correct. There are two helo's. One operated by UMD and one by Virtua Health System. Both are piloted and owned by NJSP. The hospitals provide anf fund the flight medic and flight nurse.

Neither helo is worth a piss though because they never fly, unless it's for law enforcement purposes. And if they do fly, it takes them 20 minutes longer than any other bird, even ones further away. Go figure that one out.

Thats not true. NorthSTAR takes about 20 minutes from the time they get the call till the time they're on the ground. They still operate... well, I don't know about right now with this going on. They're good for extrications because you can't get the pt. out right away anyway. Other then that, A Level II trauma center is 10 minutes from my house. A level I trauma center is about 20 minutes away. And the nearest hospital is about <10 minutes away. So there's not too much need.

Thats not true. NorthSTAR takes about 20 minutes from the time they get the call till the time they're on the ground. They still operate... well, I don't know about right now with this going on. They're good for extrications because you can't get the pt. out right away anyway. Other then that, A Level II trauma center is 10 minutes from my house. A level I trauma center is about 20 minutes away. And the nearest hospital is about <10 minutes away. So there's not too much need.

Well, Southstar tells you 15 minutes and 25 minutes later, they still can't figure out how many times to circle the scene before they land. That's assuming the moon is aligned and they're even flying.

That's great that you're so close to a trauma center. What about those of us who worked where a trauma center was 45 minutes to an hour? and Southstar doesn't feel like flying since there's a cloud in Ohio?

Thank God they finally opened up the certificate so Medevac and Pennstar can now take calls even if southstar refuses to fly! Now you can actually take care of a pt!!! WOW.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.