Got Chewed Out For Going Too Slow

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was actually ended up being an ALS call (only because they were forced to b/c of the new requirement by the hospital), so medic rode with us. I knew he was doing stuff back there, so in addition to wanting to be safe, I also wanted to give a smoother ride by not having to dodge around stopped cars. The main benefit of my L&S I feel is not waiting for red lights...the rest of the time it's faster to just flow with traffic with lights only (since only law I'm bypassing is the speed limit law, but at flow of other traffic), unless it's totally congested.

Woo, wait a minute. Since when does the hospital decide when ALS is needed and not County in So Cal? I've told many a RN to essentially STFU (Generally more of a "If you are uncomfortable with me transporting 5-10 minutes without paramedics, why are you comfortable with me waiting 5-10 minutes on scene for them?") because "the patient needs a medic."

As far as speed, it really depends on where you're at in So. Cal (example, freeways. Max speed limit is 65, traffic is going 75-80, CHP is passing you). Technically, the maximum speed law is on the long list of laws that emergency operators are excused from when transporting with a "forward facing burning red light." Sirens are supposed to be used as prudently needed (I went rounds with my FTO during driver training about sirens in the middle of a neigborhood and ended up having a nice little chat with my companies operations manager about this. My companies policy is an all or nothing, but with all things it depends on the situation/timing. Looking back, I should have just reached over and shut everything else off till we reached the main street).

BUt Dust, I like wearing my banana hammocks.

I was going to post pictures of me standing on the mountain top in the snow wearing nothing but my banana hammock with the locals.

Guess I will just keep them private now... it's you guy's loss!!

BUt Dust, I like wearing my banana hammocks.

I was going to post pictures of me standing on the mountain top in the snow wearing nothing but my banana hammock with the locals.

Guess I will just keep them private now... it's you guy's loss!!

I dare say that EMS providers have some of the highest gastronomical fortitude around, but that thought challenges it....

JPINFV, usually county decides, but I guess individual hospitals can make ALS requirements too? I just know the medics were talking and griping about it.

AK, yes, my different attitude about EMS does come mainly from this website and community. If it weren't for the site, I'd be running around doing whatever seemed right or fun just like everyone else (which in a way I kind of regret...not having the fun excited newbie phase...my partner calls me super conservative). But I know it's for the better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.