Coworker stress

I have a coworker that seems to be under a lot of stress lately. Some of us are concerned about him, and others are frustrated with him. He's the guy-in-charge and some people resent the decisions he makes. He does an awesome job in my opinion, but he has way too much on his plate. He has trouble sleeping and I don't think he eats very well. I'm not sure how much of his stress is work related or personal. I think he's going to burn out like a light. We would be losing a great guy...

Words of wisdom?

• 2 months later...

If it's the head honcho that seems to be in this bit of a pickle then I'd say it's a good blend of both work and personal. Perhaps one more so than the other. There comes in time in ones EMS career that everybody starts to burnout or burns out completely. About the only thing that can be done with this particular person is to simply go along with the program, don't whine and fuss about anything despite what anybody else might do, and encourage the other "whiners" to put their big girl panties on. . . They need to remember, he's the head honcho, not them :)

If you know about his eating and sleeping habits is it fair to say that you have a friendly rapport with him. Why not just ask him what's up? Do it in private, casually. Dont speak for everyone, just speak for you. If this guy's stressed out the last thing he needs to hear is "everyone has noticed that youre losing your marbles".

Don't push too hard. If he wants to talk he will. He if doesn't respond, drop it. IF he really wants to talk he'll come back to you later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.