You know the call is all downhill after you hear/see this...

WannaBEMT

Mine was more of a fitting commentary at the end of a day from hell-

We were in the unit on the way back to the station well after the end of the shift, sitting in traffic, waiting for the light.

Ahead of us was a station wagon and in the rear facing seat was a boy about 5-6 years old, who had his finger in his nose up to the second knuckle.

He seemed to be concentrating very hard, but as he came out of his trance, he saw the ambulance behind him and the two of us in hysterics laughing our butts off.

He then, keeping his finger up his nose, reached down on the floor,and pulled a blanket over his head, and under the blanket, you could see he still had his finger jammed up his nose-

It is something I will always remember whenever I come to the end of a crappy day-

I hope the little guy got what he was after.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whit, no those were calls from New Years eve/day over my career

I think that one statement that would make me chuckle from a dive rescue guy would be "You're gonna need a bigger boat" I think that would be funny

The other case I remember on christmas day about 8am was a minivan that got broadsided by a overweight semi-truck. We witnessed this accident. We called it in, got everyone rolling and got out and approached the vehicles and found both mom and her daughter pinned. I took the daughter and my partner took the mother.

Mother died before the first fire truck arrived, the daughter clung on till we finally got her out after 40 minutes of extrication only to code on the removal of the car piece that was pinning her abdomen. We had 2 large bore iv's and she was intubated but she coded due to the crush syndrome when we released the pressure she just died.

the truck driver after about 3 months of therapy i heard killed himself cause he couldn't live with the pain. He himself did not overload the truck, his company did, yet he paid the price.

I had a friend who was a deputy sheriff in a small county along I-70 in Missouri. got a call from dispatch to call in. He called in and they told him to stop this specific truck(semi), to walk the driver behind the truck and then go check on the guy stuck to the front of the truck. apparantly this guy on the front of the truck at 11pm jumped in front of the truck and was struck. He basically stuck to the grill. So my friend, stopped the truck, moved the driver to the back. said wait here. my friend went to the front of the truck and indeed the dead guy was still there but most of him was on the highway back where he got hit.

The truck driver ended up at the front of the truck and passed out. He quit driving trucks after that. the suicide was successful and it ended the career of a supposedly good trucker.

...when the non-medical police officer calls dispatch before you get there informing them that "hey, you better call a bird or two".

...when your pt with sudden paralysis tells you that he fell 13 times in the last two days while you are enroute w/o c-spine because he initially told you "No, I havn't fallen at all".

...when you try to contact medical control and they put you on hold for five minutes.

...when you are toned out for a 60yoF with chest pains and find out she is having chest pains because of the 4yoM who was just pulled up from the bottom of the pool.

New Years Eve of last year get a call for a diabetic pt complaining of "creepy crawly" feeling on his left leg. pull the bed sheet back and there are maggots snacking on a sore. that ended up being a LONG nite!

You know you have a winner of a pt when your partner has to explain to them that a B/P cuff and Pulse Ox will not hurt him, and that the toilette bowl is not a source of fresh water.

OMG! :shock:

Not to be vulger, but it's a direct quote

But when you make the mistake of picking up overtime in dispatch, and the first words out of the caller's mouth is (cover your eyes) "my pussy on fire!".

But at least you get to dispatch the unit and you don't have to actually take the call to hear the reason why it's on fire. Does that classify as a medical emergency or OB call???

A little more on the "Push Analyze" We have several bumpy roads on the way to our local hospital up here. Driving down these roads will make the monitor thing there is enough ectopy to warrant this action. Believe me, if my patient was actually having a problem, I'd see it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.